Open Tuning Ukulele Songs

Sounds good Ondrej. I've messed a bit with GCEG linear for slide and Wake Up Little Susie, but I'll have to give your minor tunings a try.

Sounds good Ondrej. I've messed a bit with GCEG linear for slide and Wake Up Little Susie, but I'll have to give your minor tunings a try.

Be sure to try it. Open tuning ukulele is very interesting. In my book, I tried 28 tuning:)
Gradually I will add some recordings.

I’ve been playing for a few years but this is the first time that I’ve become aware of the open tuning concept - perhaps it’s just washed over my head before. I’d be glad if the OP explained the concept of open tuning more (please). Tuning in C6 and D6 I get but it sounds to me like an open tuning gives different basic chords when the un-fretted strings are played together. A neat idea and I wonder why we standardised on gCEA?

It would be interesting to know what Uke and strings the OP used too, please. I’m wondering how tolerant strings are and whether it’s a good idea to get a few extra string sizes on for open tuning. The Uke and strings sounded good, but an able driver always helps too ... well, makes all the difference really.

Edit. I suspect the the Uke is a Lanikai laminate Soprano, probably an LU21 or its successor model. Shows what you can do with a decent basic Soprano that isn’t that expensive - wish I could play as well with my very similar Kalas.

Last edited:
The strings used standard (gcea). I tune up by only a semitone, down I tune by a maximum of a whole ton. It is certainly a good option to use other strings.

I don't know why gcea string tuning has been standardized.

Idea open tuning.
The first reason for open tuning is to allow for playing the ukulele in keys that do not lie comfortably in the standard ukulele tuning. The second reason is to make use of the resonance of the drone strings

Here is another table of debugging that I tested.
open tunings.jpg

Top Bottom