Replacing frets?

tejastani

Reaction score
I love the sound of my LoPrinzi Cherry concert uke. Been playing it for more than 10 years, but have never liked the tiny frets. Taller and higher-crowned frets, in my opinion, require less finger pressure. Has anyone re-fretted their ukulele with bigger fret wire?

Taller frets can make fretting easier, but it also makes it easy to pull the strings sharp. Refrets aren't inexpensive, but it's a reasonable modification for an instrument you like. Just be aware that when you, or a tech, redo the frets, you'll have to replace the nut and saddle too.

not easy job for DIY the larger frets could bow your neck too...you should repost this in the luthiers lounge,i think you will get better feedback

Maybe just a good setup and lowering the action a bit would be a better solution.

I love the sound of my LoPrinzi Cherry concert uke. Been playing it for more than 10 years, but have never liked the tiny frets. Taller and higher-crowned frets, in my opinion, require less finger pressure. Has anyone re-fretted their ukulele with bigger fret wire?

Like others have said working on the LoPinzi is for experienced and skilled hands only.

I much prefer tall frets too but have recently discovered that lower tension strings help with frets that aren’t as tall as I’d like them to be. It’s just a thought you might like to consider; Nylgut and Nylon can be OK, fluorocarbon isn’t a must have - never thought I’d say that.

Another DYI option would be to scallop the fretboard, which would have much the same effect as using taller frets. Pretty drastic though, and not something that you could ever undo.

For me, this is a no-brainer. This is why luthiers exist. My 16th fret was buzzing. So I took my uke to the luthier and said "fix my frets" and he did. End of story.

I totally agree with everyone else that this is a job for a professional.
Another point though is, you should ask about having the nut height lowered which will also reduce the finger pressure required and is a MUCH simpler job.
Talk to a professional.

Top Bottom