Giving Advice

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I'm very careful about giving people advice. I'll provide references and maybe tell them what I would do. You might recall that a few months ago a woman asked my advice about what uke to buy. It was going to be her one and only perfect uke. I provided links to reviews and online sellers.

After weeks of back and forth, she bought a Bonanza Oreo. I received an email from her this morning saying she is "sooooo unhappy" with the uke because she cannot tune it. She brought it to a music store, and the guy suggested D'Addario strings. I'm sooooo glad that I didn't push this uke on her.

I told her to bring it back to the music store and ask the guy to tune it. If he can't tune it, then there is a problem, and he should be able to identify it. I really thought I was through with this when she bought the Bonanza. The guy in the music store should be able to get her on the right track.

Wise words. I think that often times I dispense advise when I should just mind my own business. I think we all want to be helpful. I have a long time friend who can't buy a pair of pants without asking advise and then if they don't fit it is my fault. I've fallen into that trap for thirty five years. You would think I would eventually learn.

Remember, if you make a recommendation and it works well the person you gave it to takes the credit. If the recommendation turns out to be a disaster, then it was your recommendation. Success has many parents, failure is an orphan.

This person may just need to wait a bit longer, and maybe get a humidifier. I recently purchased a Cordoba Tenor from Guitar Center online, and when I got it I was very disappointed with the consistency of the sound I was getting. I took it back to the store and asked them to perform a full setup, but I didn't truly know if that's what was needed as the action seemed more or less just fine. The technician gave me a humidifier instead (for free!). I didn't have a great case at the time either -- it was a soft case with almost no protection at all, and allowed lots of airflow. The technician suggested I wrap the uke in trash bags to cover the whole neck and body, and let it sit in there with the humidifier overnight. I let it sit that way for 2 days, and it was magically the most beautiful-sounding instrument I own.

This person may just need to wait a bit longer, and maybe get a humidifier. I recently purchased a Cordoba Tenor from Guitar Center online, and when I got it I was very disappointed with the consistency of the sound I was getting. I took it back to the store and asked them to perform a full setup, but I didn't truly know if that's what was needed as the action seemed more or less just fine. The technician gave me a humidifier instead (for free!). I didn't have a great case at the time either -- it was a soft case with almost no protection at all, and allowed lots of airflow. The technician suggested I wrap the uke in trash bags to cover the whole neck and body, and let it sit in there with the humidifier overnight. I let it sit that way for 2 days, and it was magically the most beautiful-sounding instrument I own.

She's had this for months, so it should be well-settled.

I would guess the problem is with her and not the uke. Does she realize it takes time for uke strings to settle in? Furthermore, if she has no experience tuning any sort of instrument that's going to take time for her to learn too. If it's friction tuners even more so.

Wise words. I think that often times I dispense advise when I should just mind my own business. I think we all want to be helpful. I have a long time friend who can't buy a pair of pants without asking advise and then if they don't fit it is my fault. I've fallen into that trap for thirty five years. You would think I would eventually learn.

If you friend is a she, then the question Do these make me look fat? is a real no win.

What does not being able to tune the uke even mean in this case? A broken tuner or something else? I'm simultaneously very puzzled and curious.

Despite being 'that guy who reviews ukes' - I make it very clear that my reviews are simply my opinion and I am not telling anyone to agree with me.

Despite this I must get asked at least twice a day by email or Messenger to 'recommend me a uke'. I have a policy of not giving individual recommendations for this reason - too subjective, too personal, what I like they may not... and most of all - I don't want to be the guy who told them something and they ended up hating it.

Asking me advice on brands, tech stuff and the like is fine - but ultimately when it comes to choosing something (whatever that may be) - people need to put their faith in their OWN choices, not somebody elses.

The best piece of advice to give is "try before you buy".

John Colter

I find myself mystified by the multitude of problems that new players seem to have with tuning. I recently ran across a post (on another site) of a new player who "just couldn't tune" their new uke and were going to take it to guitar store to get them to tune it.

Even if this solves the problem of the moment, it *will* be out of tune again! Tuning a stringed instrument is a fundamental part of using that instrument. It would be like taking your car to dealership every time you needed to put gas in the tank.

I suppose I am somewhat spoiled on this subject as I started playing violin in the 4th grade (I'm still rubbish at the violin) and so I don't really remember when I first learned to tune a string to match a note I am hearing, so I should be more patient with folks who have never had to do that.

And to be clear, I'm not asking everyone to have an in depth background in music theory, but I can't count the number of videos I have seen new folks post where their instrument "doesn't sound right" even though they used a tuning app, and it is immediately apparent that they have tuned down an octave.

I find myself mystified by the multitude of problems that new players seem to have with tuning. I recently ran across a post (on another site) of a new player who "just couldn't tune" their new uke and were going to take it to guitar store to get them to tune it.

Even if this solves the problem of the moment, it *will* be out of tune again! Tuning a stringed instrument is a fundamental part of using that instrument. It would be like taking your car to dealership every time you needed to put gas in the tank. .
You got to wonder if the player is so new that they haven't even yet learned about electric tuners and someone tried to tell them they need to learn how to tune by ear. Or maybe they just don't know how to use a tuner.

Awww, let's not sugar coat it, it's all Jerryc41's fault that the woman can't tune her ukulele. :D

Awww, let's not sugar coat it, it's all Jerryc41's fault that the woman can't tune her ukulele. :D

Well, it was pretty apparent from the original thread that it would not turn out well, no matter what.

In all fairness, keeping any stringed instrument in tune is a daunting task.

There is no shame in trying to be perfect the first time you try. However after that, one needs to accept and go along with you never stop learning.

-Wiggy

Last edited:
I still give advice. I ask people not to buy an ukulele off of Amazon. And I tell them not to try to save a few bucks buying the cheapest thing they can find.
Both hold up pretty well.

I still give advice. I ask people not to buy an ukulele off of Amazon. And I tell them not to try to save a few bucks buying the cheapest thing they can find.
Both hold up pretty well.

Wouldn't argue with those Nickie.

In all fairness, keeping any stringed instrument in tune is a daunting task.

There is no shame in trying to be perfect the first time you try. However after that, one needs to accept and go along with you never stop learning.

-Wiggy

We went from a nice cool indoor venue to a very warm outdoor venue yesterday. The bass and one of the ukes, and the dulcimer were way out of tune at the outdoor gig.
Damned car gnomes!

Hahaha. I remember that thread.

I learned to never give stock advice when I was young. My wife only learned that when she's older and after paying $10k in tuition.
I also don't normally give job or relationship advice. I should now add no giving ukulele purchase advice to strange women :)

Top Bottom