Changing strings and tuning up the A string. LOL!

mikelz777

Reaction score
I was changing strings on my banjolele for the first time which is also the first time I've ever had to use a knot to hold the string at the bridge/tailpiece rather than having to tie it to the bridge.

I started with a double knot on the A string but as I was tuning it up, the knot pulled through the bridge and it scared the heck out of me! What a horrible sound it makes when that happens! I tried it again with a triple knot and as I was tuning it up, the string broke just above the knot and it scared the heck out of me again! The third time around I found a tiny bead and put that on the string before stringing it up again. As I was tightening it up and the tension/resulting notes got higher and higher it was like a soundtrack to my anxiety and blood pressure rising with each turn of the tuning knob! :D:D I was just waiting for that dreaded "pop" yet again! Fortunately the bead was the trick and the A string held just fine.

This is pretty much how I feel every time I change strings and I get to the A string. As you're tuning it the notes and the tension get higher and higher and it seems like you'll never reach that in-tune A!

I've experienced the exact same thing with my Kanile'a ukes. The slots for the strings on Kanile'as are a bit too big for fluorocarbon strings so I've had the A string slip through the slot a couple of times. A triple knot will usually keep it in place but currently I have beads at the end of all the strings on one of my Kanile'as. Having the string snap or pull through while tuning/restringing is one of the worst things to happen regarding ukes. I have severe anxiety over it as well. Thankfully not with every uke though. :D

I use the Ashley Stopper Knot on my old Martin. It works very well on the A string:
How-to-Tie-a-Stopper-Knot.jpg

I was changing strings on my banjolele for the first time which is also the first time I've ever had to use a knot to hold the string at the bridge/tailpiece rather than having to tie it to the bridge.

I started with a double knot on the A string but as I was tuning it up, the knot pulled through the bridge and it scared the heck out of me! What a horrible sound it makes when that happens! I tried it again with a triple knot and as I was tuning it up, the string broke just above the knot and it scared the heck out of me again! The third time around I found a tiny bead and put that on the string before stringing it up again. As I was tightening it up and the tension/resulting notes got higher and higher it was like a soundtrack to my anxiety and blood pressure rising with each turn of the tuning knob! :D:D I was just waiting for that dreaded "pop" yet again! Fortunately the bead was the trick and the A string held just fine.

This is pretty much how I feel every time I change strings and I get to the A string. As you're tuning it the notes and the tension get higher and higher and it seems like you'll never reach that in-tune A!

I can so relate to this scenario, have had similar experiences and feel you described it better than I could!

Thanks!

The slot bridge on my Kamaka ukes have caused me some moments of blood pressure rising fright as the strings flew from the bridge. And, like you, as I tighten the strings...well pretty much any string, I feel increasingly nervous with each higher note leading up to the desired pitch.

Thanks, dgame, I'm gonna try this! I cannot restring my banjouke and my C string popped outta my resonator uke.

The A String on my Kanilea Tenor has slipped out after changing strings. I've had the bridge pin fly across the room more than once. I've spent a lot of time on my hands and knees looking for it several times.

I've experienced the exact same thing with my Kanile'a ukes. The slots for the strings on Kanile'as are a bit too big for fluorocarbon strings so I've had the A string slip through the slot a couple of times. A triple knot will usually keep it in place but currently I have beads at the end of all the strings on one of my Kanile'as. Having the string snap or pull through while tuning/restringing is one of the worst things to happen regarding ukes. I have severe anxiety over it as well. Thankfully not with every uke though. :D

I use beads with my Kanile'a too. It's definitely the way to go.

I have Living Waters Fluorocarbon strings on several tenors. The A string and High-g strings are very thin. I have broken a couple when I wasn't paying attention and tightened them too far, or too quickly.

I find that if I tighten the A or High-g strings in stages I don't have any problems with them breaking. I tighten until the string is 3 or 4 steps below it's in-tune note. And I move to the other strings that have stretched out of tune. Then I tighten the A & g until I'm 2 steps below. Move to the other strings. Then back to the A & g etc. Usually I let them sit and stretch for 10 - 15 mins between tightening. I usually go a step too far overnight.

If you tighten too fast, the strings can stretch unevenly and break.

I always use beads on my Kanile'a tenors, and any through the bridge ukes. I had a few A-strings pull out of the slot and a couple of holes, no matter how big a knot I tied. Never had a peg pop out.

Oh, and LivingWaters A & g strings are slippery. I've had the triple-wrapped A-string tie on a tie bar pull through as I tightened it up. I leave about 2 inches on the tail and it pulls some through as it tightens up, then settles down.

A belated thank-you for the diagram, dgame (and to you, mikelz777, for starting this thread)!

I got my new Kala a couple of weeks ago, fitted with the stock Aquila Super Nylgut strings. I had ordered a set of Pepe Romeros at the same time, because I hadn't liked the same stock Aquilas on my Cordoba concert, and had replaced them with Uke Logic strings that I liked much better. But when I installed the A string, when I got somewhere near pitch, it went SNAP! I tried again with a Martin M600 A string and the same thing happened.

At that point I searched these boards for pointers from people who'd experienced similar scenarios. Based on the results, I checked the nut (felt completely smooth), the saddle (also completely smooth), and the bridge (felt like there might have been a tiny burr). So I used the smoother side of an emery board to sand the edge of the bridge, and gave the A string gap in the nut a pass with a very fine nail file (made for toddlers!). Then I restrung it with the G string from the Martin set, just to fill the gap and to get a little more practice at stringing. :)

In the meantime, I ordered another full set of the Romeros and a single (but double-length) Worth Brown A string. They both arrived yesterday, and I decided to start with the Worth Brown AND to string it with the more secure knot. So far, it's holding securely and staying in tone as much as any newly installed string will. It's actually drifting very little.

At this point I've concluded that the A string hole in the bridge worked fine with a thicker-diameter string like the Aquila Super Nylgut but was too big for the thinner strings I prefer. From here on, I will use a thicker knot like the one shown here and/or add a bead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom