Thinking of Getting This Electric Uke What Do You Think?

spirittoo

Reaction score
As some of you may know I am waiting to get a solid body electric uke from Flight when they come back out but that could be as early as May or as late as Aug. I would like to learn some rock riffs on the uke since it is so much easier to play than guitar.
I was thinking of getting this inexpensive electric uke to fill the void until I get the solid body one.

This is the only place that sells it as far as I know.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NSSKQLS?pf_rd_r=W16VJV56E5GA7HEQ7M2J&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&pd_rd_r=fb2c414a-03c1-40fd-aa39-097b188d63bc&pd_rd_w=kDVqL&pd_rd_wg=QHl6e&ref_=pd_gw_unk

What'll happen to this uke once your Flight uke arrives?

Is playing those riffs on a regular acoustic uke not satisfying enough? If so, then this acoustic-electric uke will definitely have a more acoustic sound than electric. You can see if you'll like this sound by miking your acoustic uke (which should give you a better sound than this uke).

I would save the money you are going to spend on that, combine it with the money you're going to spend on the Flight and get a Risa when they become available.

My Reasons

I would save the money you are going to spend on that, combine it with the money you're going to spend on the Flight and get a Risa when they become available.

I can't justify spending that much for one uke. If I were a pro sure, but playing for my own pleasure, inexpensive ukes are fine for me.

No one has anything like the Flight Pathfinder blue. I love the look and the color, that is why I want one. It sound good from the videos I have seen of it.

What'll happen to this uke once your Flight uke arrives?

Is playing those riffs on a regular acoustic uke not satisfying enough? If so, then this acoustic-electric uke will definitely have a more acoustic sound than electric. You can see if you'll like this sound by miking your acoustic uke (which should give you a better sound than this uke).

I would play both. I have seen youtube videos where they are playing rock riff with a uke and it sounds like a guitar. Guess it's how the amp is set up.

This is "nylon"strings so gives you nothing you don't already have in terms of learning rock riffs. Isn't the Flight steel string? If you just want something to plug in, fine, but the sounds you get from this won't be remotely what you get from the steel string

The pickup will be rubbish.

If you really want an electro-acoustic better to spend the price of this and a bit more to get a nice pickup.

Metal Strings?

This is "nylon"strings so gives you nothing you don't already have in terms of learning rock riffs. Isn't the Flight steel string? If you just want something to plug in, fine, but the sounds you get from this won't be remotely what you get from the steel string

Yes the Flight is steel strings. Couldn't I use metal strings like this guy ... first 3 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p1bEOw89oQ&t=159s

If you really want an electro-acoustic better to spend the price of this and a bit more to get a nice pickup.

That was my experience. I don't have children that I acknowledge and a woman that doesn't sabotage my desires, so I bought a 100 watt amp, fuzz pedal, cry baby, flanger, etc. (you get the picture). When I played around with a cheap electro-acoustic, it was okay--enough to be interesting, but nothing to write home about. But when I got something with a real pickup, it was a totally different realm. That's why I mentioned above holding out for something better. But we all go our own way.

True about the pickup. But sometimes these inexpensive instruments are surprising from review videos I have seen.

That was my experience. I don't have children that I acknowledge and a woman that doesn't sabotage my desires, so I bought a 100 watt amp, fuzz pedal, cry baby, flanger, etc. (you get the picture). When I played around with a cheap electro-acoustic, it was okay--enough to be interesting, but nothing to write home about. But when I got something with a real pickup, it was a totally different realm. That's why I mentioned above holding out for something better. But we all go our own way.

What kind of strings did you use? I'm sure there will be a big difference between the uke in question and the Flight.

Last edited:
Yes the Flight is steel strings. Couldn't I use metal strings like this guy ... first 3 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p1bEOw89oQ&t=159s

Uh, I didn't see anything that indicated the strings on his uke were metal. Only that he was playing "Metal" on his uke. I interpreted that to mean: Heavy Metal music. But I might have misunderstood.

The pickups on the uke you are interested in will only be good for Nylon or Fluorocarbon strings. It will use a piezo type of pickup. Which does not work like a steel string pickup that creates a magnetic field that reacts to the steel strings vibrating in it.

Plus, putting steel strings on a uke made for Nylon or Fluorocarbon strings will do bad things to the uke. The pressures are much higher with metal strings. The neck will warp and it may pop the bridge. It isn't designed to handle the stresses of metal strings.

You can play heavy metal and hard rock on an electro-acoustic uke, no problem. Usually on inexpensive ukes such as this one, the electronics are very cheap and don't sound very good. It will probably be OK as a practice uke. Knowing that the action of the setup is probably poor and the sound mediocre at best.

Like Kenn said, those aren't "metal" strings. Those are regular uke strings (nylon or flourocarbon) played through a ton of distortion. No problem with that. Heck I've played violin patches through a guitar amp simulator when I wanted an "electric guitar solo". Put enough distortion on anything and it can sound "metal" :rock:

So if that's the sound you want, go for it and have fun. But as others have said, don't expect too much from an $80 uke+pickup

Thanks for all your input. I certainly didn't know you can't use steel strings on the uke in question. I tried my baritone electric uke with the overdrive on the amp and it did give me the sound I was looking for. So I figure this uke will too. It will serve me until the Flight is available whenever that will be.:uhoh: I'm going to get the uke. Looks like I'll be building a collection. I'm going to stop at 8 ukes though. No more after that!.:rulez::stop::agree:

I'm going to stop at 8 ukes though. No more after that!

When I first started playing ukulele in June of 2013 when I retired, I bought one to attend the first Los Angeles Music Center Ukulele Play-Along. I was so captured by it after having played guitar for almost 50 years, that I haven't touched my 4 guitars since, gave them to my nephew. Then I bought a second uke because I had to have the first one fixed. Then I started roaming the interweb and came across a great deal out of China. So I thought, that's good I have 3 now, but then I saw another I liked and bought it. That went on for a year and 16 ukes. I then decided to do some culling and brought it down to 4 of my favorites.

Then the leader of my seniors uke group asked if anyone would like to take up the bass to fill in our sound. When I played rhythm guitar, I was often told I should play bass because I had good feel and timing, but I didn't want to be encumbered by a big electric bass, forget a standup double bass. Then I discovered bass ukes and mini bass guitars and went for it. To make a long story shorter, after a little over 6 years, I went up to 34 basses, now down to 28 (and little by little in that time, I'm up to 8 ukes).

Uke & Bass Collection.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I've spent many years buying/selling/replacing various ukuleles - both cheap and costly, etc.

What I've found is, the better quality instruments are the ones I often have fewer regrets about.
Cheap instruments like the one you linked to tend to be later seen as a waste of money, especially if they accumulate.
You say you can't justify the cost of an expensive instrument like a Risa, but it's one of those situations where you end up getting one anyway, after having spent a lot of time and money on lesser options.

The new Flight Pathfinder seems very reasonably priced for the quality offered though.

With regards to this "Vanphy" ukulele you linked to - it's no different to many other acoustic-electrics out there.
They're all made in the same factory in China and come with the same low quality generic pickup system.

Out of the box, it will not be satisfactory as an acoustic-electric.
99% of the case, these generic systems come with severe loudness imbalance between the strings, and no amount of sanding the saddle or adjustment will fix it.

The problem is that the undersaddle piezo bar/wire on these are very low quality.

A fix that I've found is if you upgrade the undersaddle unit to a better one (Artec Ukulele Undersaddle Piezo - you can find them on ebay) it will sound much better and well balanced. However, replacing is not always easy and may require a bit of minor luthier skills.

Wow!

Holy Mackerel Mr. Mike! That is an impressive collection. Some of those electric solid body ones I bet you can't get anymore! I haven't seen any like those on the market. Even with my guitars and mandolins and violin I would never reach the 38 mark.:bowdown::worship:

kissing ...
I have a guitar that was only $100 it's electric too and I love it. Just because it is cheap doesn't necessarily mean it is no good. If it is as bad as you think I can always send it back. My baritone which was under $130 played fine out of the box. I haven't changed the strings and the action is good. I do have some minor skills and could upgrade it needed. After I get it and check it out I will post a review on it.:music:

Bill ...
Fortunately I can afford this and the Pathfinder since it will not be out until probably June or July. It will be the second most expensive instrument I have purchase. My reasoning behind getting this uke is to help me learn. I found so far that all these inexpensive ukes I have got are excellent for learning. They play well and they sound good. :agree:

Then, f you buy two, you can be a repeat offender.

:rulez: You need to check yourself. I make the decisions in my life not you. If you can't handle that run along and play with the other children. This thread is for adults only.:troll:

As some of you may know I am waiting to get a solid body electric uke from Flight when they come back out but that could be as early as May or as late as Aug. I would like to learn some rock riffs on the uke since it is so much easier to play than guitar.
I was thinking of getting this inexpensive electric uke to fill the void until I get the solid body one.

This is the only place that sells it as far as I know.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NSSKQLS?pf_rd_r=W16VJV56E5GA7HEQ7M2J&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&pd_rd_r=fb2c414a-03c1-40fd-aa39-097b188d63bc&pd_rd_w=kDVqL&pd_rd_wg=QHl6e&ref_=pd_gw_unk

If I may be so bold ... I have this F/S posted on MarketPlace (in case you haven't been looking there. Nice blend of portability, good sounding acoustic, and good basic connections for electric sound.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?149408-Kala-KA-SSTU-TE-Travel-(slimline)

Top Bottom