Thinking of Getting This Electric Uke What Do You Think?

:rulez: You need to check yourself. I make the decisions in my life not you. If you can't handle that run along and play with the other children. This thread is for adults only.:troll:

Then, f you buy two, you can be a repeat offender.

Easy, spiritoo. I think that sentence is missing an "i" before the "f". Does change the meaning slightly :p

Sounds like you've made your decision. Do report back how it works out.

Ok, back to the banter
:shaka:

:rulez: You need to check yourself. I make the decisions in my life not you. If you can't handle that run along and play with the other children. This thread is for adults only.:troll:

I apologise. It was a typo. I meant to write if. If you buy two Fenders, you can be a repeat offender. It was a joke.

Buy whatever you like of course.

I apologise. It was a typo. I meant to write if. If you buy two Fenders, you can be a repeat offender. It was a joke.

Buy whatever you like of course.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.:cheers:

I absolutely respect your decision.

For me, it's not so much that cheap = bad.

It's more about knowing exactly what you are buying and asking yourself whether you can live with it + able to fix its shortcomings.

For instance, I recently bought a cheap acoustic-electric Baritone (Tiki brand) with a solid Koa top that has one of those generic active pickup systems.
I would not normally buy this uke, but it was a factory second with aesthetic blemish, and priced about Half-Price with a good quality hardcase.

So I purchased it, fully expecting that the generic pickup system is iffy at best. I ordered an Artec piezo undersaddle unit simultaneously, knowing 100% I will replace the undersaddle unit.

They both arrived. As expected the electronics were not balanced.
I did some drilling/filing of the saddle slot for the new pickup to fit. I made a new bone saddle for preferred action.
Now it plays great! A lot better than it was out-of-box. Buying a higher quality instrument, such as a Pono with better electronics (like a Mi-Si or LR Baggs) would have saved me the hours and effort (and also be a better instrument overall). But in this case, it was a low-cost and entertaining project. I was not looking for an expensive baritone, but a well functioning beater.

I would never have purchased this ukulele at full price. But at half price it was enough to entice me; being fully aware of what the shortcomings are and knowing how to fix it. The solid Koa top was appealing too (though obviously it doesn't sound like a high-end Hawaiian uke).

Hence, when I view this "Vanphy" uke - it's not really all that appealing.
It's a typical 'cookie cutter' generic acoustic-electric. Rapidly put together with expected shortcomings. If I truly still wanted this uke, I would not purchase it without simultaneously ordering an Artec undersaddle to upgrade the electronics. The pre-amp will accept the alternative piezo unit (same mini plug).

If I wanted to experiment with a nylon string electric, I would have gone for something like a Risa Uke-Solid, an Eleuke or the Enya Feather.
These come with decent pickup systems and a better setup straight out of box. I just "know" they will work (or if it doesn't, the seller will offer warranty/replacement).

I know an instrument like the Vanphy will have iffy electronics (at least to my standards), and that no amount of replacing will fix the issue. It's an issue inherent with the cheap parts they use :D Hence, unless I upgrade the parts myself I know it won't be worth it.

Last edited:
I would love to learn how to do the upgrade you did, if I don't like the pickup. Knowing stuff like that comes in mighty handy. Perhaps you could give me some pointers on how to do it. You and videos on youtube may be enough to help me do the project. I changed the tuners, nut, replaced the strings and clean the pots on my squire. I know how to solder. I repair my own computers. I've worked on my vehicles. build a motorize bike, repair my washer, dryer, vacuum. Still trying to figure out how to get my chainsaw working again. I'm not afraid to work on things in order to learn how to do it. Saves me a lot of money when I am able to do something myself.

I think it would be interesting to take an inexpensive uke and upgrade it making it better. I already have better strings for it. I'm going with the low G string rather than the high G that comes with it. I don't see the sense of putting a high G on a tenor. Makes it sound like the concert.:music:

Top Bottom