AKG P420 large diaphragm condenser mic $150 at sweetwater

clear

Reaction score
Thanks for your insight.

How might it compare to a Shure SM57??

Are you running the mic into an amp and what kind of amp??

I went and looked at some reviews. The AKG needs to be powered.

I have the Shure SM 57 have thought about upgrading. Not wanting to add a mic that needs an outside power source at this time. Still looks like a very good price until the end of the month if someone is looking for such a piece of equipment.

Last edited:
Thanks for your insight.

How might it compare to a Shure SM57??

Are you running the mic into an amp and what kind of amp??

I went and looked at some reviews. The AKG needs to be powered.

I have the Shure SM 57 have thought about upgrading. Not wanting to add a mic that needs an outside power source at this time. Still looks like a very good price until the end of the month if someone is looking for such a piece of equipment.

I have the Shure SM58, which is the same as your Shure SM57 but with a grill and pop filter. For voice, I like the Shure more (but maybe it is just because I'm more used to it). For uke, IMHO, the AKG is hands down a lot better. The AKG needs 48v of phantom power since it's a condenser mic. It is also going to be a lot more sensitive than your Shure SM57 so you'll need a quiet environment to use it.

I can put up some recordings to compare the Shure SM58 and AKG P-420, if you think it'll help you.

I paid $200 for it, and I'm very happy. So at $150, I think it is a great deal for the quality you're getting. I don't think this mic was ever at this low a price, even before the pandemic.

The Shure SM57 is normally used as a live-performance vocal mic and also often used right in front of a guitar amp's speaker.
The AKG would be much better for acoustic stringed instruments, especially for recording.

Top Bottom