Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NUD-Pono AT-CR Tenor

Thanks all! Looks like I'll be on the hunt locally for some fluorocarbon strings tomorrow....
    Thanks

Wow! Just put on some Fremont Black Lines. What a difference. It now sounds like it should have when I got it. Saved the Ko'olau strings but now I'm not sure why.....
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
    Wow! Just put on some Fremont Black Lines. What a difference. It now sounds like it should have when I got it. Saved the Ko'olau strings but now I'm not sure why.....
    Yup! I don't know what they're thinking with those strings. They don't do the Ponos justice, imo.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

I think generally speaking, Cedar tends to be a mellower, warmer sounding tonewood compared to others like Spruce which really 'pop' and 'bang'.
    With Cedar, think classical guitar tone.

I recently bought a Pono Tenor Electric Mango Deluxe LTE. Again, like some other posters, nada on the stock strings. (this electric is the chambered version ... looks solid body, but can still be played with volume as a acoustic, granted not loud, but nice sounding). My concern was that I got some kind of muted solid body electric uke. I wasn't getting the acclaimed near-acoustic sound that the players on the Ukulele Site (and a few Youtube reviewers) were touting. A friend has been playing Fremont Blacks, which I purchased and wow, what a difference. Used the Fremont Soloist for the low G. and really pleased. So... stock strings, "eh"... In my experience.

BTW, I've also tried higher tensioned Uke Logics and, while the sound was bigger and with great sustain, I didn't care for the tension. I normally prefer a concert scale with a flatter neck. With the higher tension, thicker neck, and somewhat wider fret distances, I found barre cords harder to play. The Fremont Blacks seemed to be enough of lowered tension to work for me.

[Now if I can just figure a way to make the neck more narrow ...... :-) ]
    KoAloha KSM-10 Pikake ::: Kanile'a Islander MAPG-4-C ::: Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert ::: Kala KA-SSTU-S ::: Fender Montecito Tenor Koa ::: KoAloha Silver Anniversary KCM-00 #060 ::: Antica Ukuleleria Concert Libero ::: Pono TE-MD-R

Quote Originally Posted by Cadia View Post
    Yup! I don't know what they're thinking with those strings. They don't do the Ponos justice, imo.
    Ko'olau is the parent company of Pono. They want to move and promote the brand's strings would be my guess.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I'm also waiting for my Pono to open up and to replace the strings when current set retires.
    My question: seems most people in this thread recommend fluorocarbon strings. How about nylon strings? If I like warm and deep sound and I use Low G. (Though I don't like muted sound).

Thread Information