Ken Timms mahogany soprano

Geordie196

Reaction score
Evening guys - anyone have any idea (ball park figure) how much a Ken Timms mahogany soprano is selling for on second hand market? Buying and selling UK

Thanks in advance

I paid $695 US for one on this side of the pond via the Marketplace. Highly satisfactory.

I just passed up one on eBay for $375. I normally would have jumped on it, but I’m not playing soprano these days and I couldn’t justify it financially either. Someone got a bargain!

I just paid 500 and consider it a bargain.

Not answering the question, but you can get Brad Donaldson's version of the Martin 0 for under 350. Mine is outstanding.

Evening guys - anyone have any idea (ball park figure) how much a Ken Timms mahogany soprano is selling for on second hand market? Buying and selling UK

Thanks in advance

If you’re in the U.K. then supply might, strangely, be difficult because the bulk of Timms seem to get bought by wealthy overseas buyers. A new Tim’s can go for as much as 700 pounds and they seem to keep their value, I’d be very surprised to see a second hand one go for less than 400, 500 plus is probably a better ball park figure.

The price inflated a few years back, following a particularly positive review from a popular person on social media. IMHO they are very nice instruments and now THE recognised vintage Martin copy but nearly new ones do change hands on the second hand market and I wonder what that says about satisfaction levels and the reasons for buying one?

Edit. Bill has made some excellent points in his post below, read and learn. Note that after a short while he deletes his posts - a pity as he posts some outstandingly good comments. Basically a Timms is both an excellent Uke (that has value to some players) and a commodity (that has investment value), its price is a factor of both. Given a reasonably good selling platform, an unhurried sale and a suitable description the market will determine an instrument’s value at that particular point in time, recent prices gives buyers and sellers indicative values.

Last edited:
You should do what ken does and put it on eBay. What it sells for is what it's worth.

I have played a lot of Ken Timms ukes. They are good, but then again so are all the others! I'd rather have a Ken Timms than a new Martin.

Last edited:
I am lucky enough to own what I think is the last Pete Howlett. He had to retire because of ill health.

No idea what it's worth. I will never sell it. He is a lovely man and it is one of my most prized possessions.

I am lucky enough to own what I think is the last Pete Howlett. He had to retire because of ill health.

No idea what it's worth. I will never sell it. He is a lovely man and it is one of my most prized possessions.

No idea where you're getting this info. Judging by his Facebook page he's clearly still building, although obviously Parkinson's is taking a toll on him.

Without any hard evidence, I don't see why they would be selling for much less than new. They are in demand, and not many come up for sale. I would think they would cost more in the UK. If you look on eBay and check the box for "Sold items," you'll see what they've sold for recently.

It looks like that $375 didn't sell. One sold for $455, which seems like a bargain.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...cat=0&_odkw=uke&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

Pete Howlett has not retired from ukulele building but he's no longer building custom instruments. His health has slowed him down, but he's currently focused on his semi-production "Revelator" model, which is kind of modern-looking, thin-bodied electro-acoustic uke. He's a member here so he may chime in at some point with a comment or two.

Last edited:
Pete Howlett has not retired from ukulele building but he's no longer building custom instruments. His health has slowed him down, but he's currently focused on his semi-production "Revelator" model, which is kind of modern-looking, thin-bodied electro-acoustic uke. He's a member here so he may chime in at some point with a comment or two.

I think that's a good idea for him. Quality instruments but without the constant changes in design and construction - similar to the Timms ukes.

My apologies. I was looking at a Pete Howlett just before I typed that. I meant my Stuart Longridge. A lovely man. I am still in regular contact with him on the Cosmos.

Is this a sign I have too many ukes?

This is my Stuart Longridge soprano. I believe it was his last one. Holly and lacewood. Lovely.

IMG_20210321_140718.jpg

Last edited:
Aha! If you meant Stuart Longridge, Chris, that makes perfect sense. That is, indeed, a lovely uke.

John Colter

Top Bottom