archtoppery

I spent some time viewing his videos last night. Some very interesting ideas are there. As I am just gearing back up for some archtop building, this was most timely. I know he builds things very lightly, but I wish he would provide some information on how he graduates the top and back.
Bray

I'm always amazed at the timing of posts that coincide with what's happening with me. I'm having two archtop bass ukes being made. One by Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam, and another by someone I recently learned about from the Facebook UBass Freaks group, David Martinez in Mexico. Since Bruce doesn't add electronics, I'm having my luthier Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys, CA add parts I had, tuners, a preamp and pickup, and do a full setup. Interestingly enough, they both cost $800 including shipping to Los Angeles, plus a couple hundred for Eric's work.

This is the Bruce Wei Arts that Eric's Guitar is finishing (Eric says Bruce did a very nice job building it).
BWA Custom carved frt-bck.jpg

This is the one David Martinez is building.
My Green Burst Martinez 1200.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
I spent some time viewing his videos last night. Some very interesting ideas are there. As I am just gearing back up for some archtop building, this was most timely. I know he builds things very lightly, but I wish he would provide some information on how he graduates the top and back.
Bray
Ken is going to be focusing on how he carves top and back plates pretty much for the rest of the year. The first videos will be going live in about 30 days or so.

Top Bottom