SOTU 475 Aloha Spirit

Ms Bean

Reaction score
It's been a while since we had a look at at Hawai'i.

Bring us songs about and from Hawai'i, its culture, history, religion, folkore, traditions, geography, etc.

Original songs by Hawai'ian musicians are welcome, but I'm not looking for covers of Bohemian Rhapsody or While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

The Season will last for the normal eight days, starting early on Sunday 21 March at midnight, until midnight Sunday 28 March. Hawai'i does not have Daylight Savings Time.

Normal rules apply:
- new recordings only
- collaborations welcome
- originals written for this theme are welcome
- ukulele front and central (other instruments welcome in moderation

New Sesonistas are warmly encouraged to take part!

Mahalo!

Playlist

this song by Kristian Bush came up as i was googling, looking for a song to cover ...

Hello Sabine ... and very many thanks for hosting this week! Actually, I must confess that I have a bit of a problem with the theme because I really am not that keen on Hawaiian music ... I shall now probably be drummed out of The Seasons!!! However, I have made a BIG effort, digging out a sort of ersatz "lei" and even shaving off my moustache, and, anyway ... it's short! (A big thanks to our very own Rex, whose tutorial I found for this song and whose chords I used. Rex's splendid rendition is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TvWUpOplKk)

Last edited:
And we're off! Thanks already to Charley, Wim and Val for their early contributions.

Val, I'm really pleased that you recorded 'Honolulu Baby', for I share your reservations about Hawai'ian music :D. As a matter of fact, I never listen to it. It doesn't appeal to me. I know though, that I will listen to all of this week's entries. I hope I will have a greater appreciation of the genre by the end of the week.

I also have to admit to not being all that keen on Hawaiian music (sorry!). But that's not going to stop me taking part :). Here's one I do quite like, from Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's 1993 album "Facing Future". It turns out it was written by a Vietnamese man, Duc Huy, who got married in Waikiki and wrote it after a walk along the beach with his wife:

Now I'm off for a walk myself in the baking hot 12 degree Fife sunshine.

Hawai'ian music :D. As a matter of fact, I never listen to it. It doesn't appeal to me. I know though, that I will listen to all of this week's entries. I hope I will have a greater appreciation of the genre by the end of the week.
Maybe you find some interest by this happy sound :smileybounce:

I'll venture into the fringes of questionable taste with John Prine and Fred Koller's Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian.

Apparently when "World Music" became the next big thing, John Prine and Fred Koller decided to write a song in another language and cash in on the new rage. Unfortunately, they were both unilingual and that language was English, so they decided to use onomatopoeia and write a song in "Hawaiian" and this (or something like it) was the result.
I decided to dip into my Hawaiian shirt collection today.

Hawaiian shirts.jpg

Season 475 - SOTU

Last edited:
I'll venture into the fringes of questionable taste with John Prine and Fred Koller's Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian.

Apparently when "World Music" became the next big thing, John Prine and Fred Koller decided to write a song in another language and cash in on the new rage. Unfortunately, they were both unilingual and that language was English, so they decided to use onomatopoeia and write a song in "Hawaiian" and this (or something like it) was the result.
I decded to dip into my Hawaiian shirt collection today.

View attachment 133101

Excellent shirt collection, Jim!

Thanks for hosting this one Sabine. I've done this one to kick me off but I will be delving into the more authentic Hawaiian stuff hopefully during the week

After the first 12 hours, the playlist is now seven songs long. This afternoon we had great performances from Edwin, Jim, Alan and Mark.
There are still quite a few obvious songs to bring. For the Seasonistas who don't like Hawai'ian music, feel free to write a therapeutic original. On the other hand, Heinz' suggested video might work to lift any prejudice you might have. It is definitely an happy sound, you'll hear.

Thanks for everyone who has already contributed to the playlist, this thread, or to the comments to the songs on YouTube. Keep strumming!

Thanks Sabine. Here's an original. Subject matter is Hawaiian. Style isn't. :)

Hula Hula Girl see what you done
You’ve only gone and outshone the sun
The sun don’t shimmy, the sun don’t swirl
Sun can’t compete with a Hula Hula Girl

Hula Hula Girl there’s volcanic unrest
And I got something to get off my chest
If a fish loves a whale and a bird loves a bee
Can a Hula Hula Girl give her heart to me

A gentle rain is poised to start
Though our cradles were far apart

Hula Hula Girl
Frangipani don’t lie
It blooms if you laugh it blooms if you cry
Hula Hula Girl can you give me a chance
I got the guitar if you got the dance.

a paoriginoodle hopefully in an hawaiian style - i'm sure some suitably inane hula girl lyrics could be applied - i saw her dancing in the moonlight etc etc

Here is my entry.

A little ditty made popular by Don Ho.

A little Warren Zevon number that I end up redoing when we have Hawaiian-themed seasons. Can’t help myself!

Top Bottom