SOTU 475 Aloha Spirit

Someone decided to send me a message on my mobile bang in the middle of recording grrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
Here's one from Lilo and Stitch, a Disney film set in Hawaii.

And another language to tick off the list of ones I've butchered in aid of a Seasons video. That's five now.

Today was a bit slower, with four new entries. Alan, Andy, Mark and Ryan proved to be in a Hawai'ian mood. Mahalo to all of you!

Aloha one more time, Sabine! I feel very lucky to have been asked to collaborate on a piece with Del Griffiths, even though he isn’t whistling in this one :- )

Can’t Help Falling In Love
Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore, George David Weiss

Last edited:
Aloha one more time, Sabine! I feel very lucky to have been asked to collaborate on a piece with Del Griffiths, even though he isn’t whistling in this one :- )

Can’t Help Falling In Love
Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore, George David Weiss

Could I just add that I chose this one as it was in the Elvis movie ‘Blue Hawaii’ - rather tenuous I know, but as close as I could get this time! And Liz’s vocal harmonies are awesome! :)

My last entry here (think its my fourth?) nice short one. Cheers Sabine x

Hawaiian artist Kui Lee wrote this song in 1964 for his wife and daughters after finding out he had terminal cancer and weeks to live. Other connections with the song are Elvis performed it on his Aloha From Hawaii tour and Its also been performed on an episode of Hawaii five O.

Hi all.

My normal account is blacklisted again...
I didn't want to miss 2 week's in a row so I found this song in the morning, listened to it a couple of times and then tried it out. Here are the results

I just discovered this song, which is from a Disney short "Lava". It's a love story about two volcanoes, and to be honest, my main attraction to it was the fact that it's based around a terrible pun. I suppose you could think of it as a story about the origin of Hawaii.

I read on wikipedia that it's at least partially inspired by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's rendition of "Somewhere over the Rainbow".

Here is my song for this week. It's a narrative song outlining the events that led to the death of Captain Cook on Hawaii Island in 1779.

When I uploaded it, I was told there was a copyright issue with some sections of the song "using the melody of "If Morning Comes" - A song I had never heard of. I listened to it and can't see the remotest resemblance. If robots are going to decide what is an infringement of copyright and what isn't then we are in deep doo doo. The verses of the song use the standard G C D chords and surely they can't be copyrighted.This is a dangerous step on the road to Youtube for the elite who have succeeded and not for us unknown songwriters. And Lord knows how it affects "covers".... The beginning of the end for YouTube?

Anyone else had problems with this new "automatic" procedure?

A second from me, A shanty. According to Stan Hugill, Hilo could refer to either Peru or Hawaii. For obvious reasons, I chose the latter. Like all shanties, there are multiple verses and it's a case of make your selection according to preference, especially as they are no longer sung in the context where they originated - as work songs. The selection of verses in Hugill has Johnny going all round the coast of the Americas! :uhoh:

(Being away...) ... Added to that my wife had a stroke about a month ago and while, fortunately it was not a major one, it has had a significant impact on our lives. She's on the mend but it's a slow process.

A friend and former colleague of mine and his wife (i. e. his wife, really not to expect) suffered the same, and we are really happy, that they still can stay in nearly quite normal life (beside Covid). Best wishes to your wife and you from my/our side!

I noticed the cap of a bottle of water that was stood on the shelf behind my laptop was somewhat prominent in the video. Doh!
I thought, it's the absolutely top new microphone everybody wants to have??? :cool:

10 new songs were added today. Jon and Joo brought a fab original collaboration. Liz and Del revisited Elvis in another fine collab. Brian brought us Jack Johnson and G Love. Mark and Loftur were both inspired by the same song, how funny was that? Edwin brought us a Disney song, and Berni spoiled us with an original about Captain Cook. Geoff and Heinz both put Hilo on the map, and bonesigh took us to Kauai. A very productive day indeed. Mahalo nui loa!

Here is my song for this week. It's a narrative song outlining the events that led to the death of Captain Cook on Hawaii Island in 1779.

When I uploaded it, I was told there was a copyright issue with some sections of the song "using the melody of "If Morning Comes" - A song I had never heard of. I listened to it and can't see the remotest resemblance. If robots are going to decide what is an infringement of copyright and what isn't then we are in deep doo doo. The verses of the song use the standard G C D chords and surely they can't be copyrighted.This is a dangerous step on the road to Youtube for the elite who have succeeded and not for us unknown songwriters. And Lord knows how it affects "covers".... The beginning of the end for YouTube?

Anyone else had problems with this new "automatic" procedure?

I've been doing a lot of old Tin Pan Alley songs and I keep getting copyright claims on songs that are clearly in the public domain.

Aloha from still snowy Finland! I tried to play Hiilawe by Sam Li'a Kalainaina

Top Bottom