SOTU 475 Aloha Spirit

From 2008, Hawaiian Friday

This is a song about the 'Ulupalakua highlands of Maui.
A beautiful place famous for the sweet scent of ginger, the cool night air that pinches at your skin, and the Hawaiian cowboys who tend cattle on the slopes of the mountain.
Bonus "free-style" hula by the lovely Thea of Stafa, Switzerland who has been to Hawaii several times and loves it there.

This has a nod to a particular part of Hawai'iaan culture that we may have overlooked....
oh and a TV show...again....different versh....Cheers

Hi CeeJay,

I can't watch the video. Could you check the settings please?

Saturday's nearly over here in the UK. There were new entries today from Alan, Ylle (Kolibri), Joko, Christopher (Yukio), John (Ukecaster). CeeJay also recorded and uploaded another video to YouTube, but something hasn't gone as planned. I'm hopeful that we'll get to watch CeeJay's newest submission entry tomorrow.

My official entry is an origininoodle (TM pabrizzer) which I had no title for at the time I recorded it but I couldn’t upload it as “untitled originoodle” so I decided it reminded me of waves dancing as they roll into shore. If anyone has a better title after listening to it please throw a suggestion in the YT comments.

I already posted this on the Island because it may fit the 475 Hawaiian theme but there is nary a uke in sight. Still I’m kind of proud of the arrangement so I drop this here as an unofficial submission in the hopes it get a few views regardless of the 6 string anathema.

“Neck and Neck” is one of my all time favorite albums which my dad turned me on to. I sure miss him. We both loved Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler and every track on this album is a gem. Do yourself a favor and load it up on Spotify then thank me later.

I’ve been working on this arrangement for a while now. The original Tahitian Skies reminds me of a sailing trip I was fortunate enough to take on a gaff rigged schooner. There is something special about laying at anchor in a secluded cove sipping your hot Java and watching the rising sun turn windless calm water to a molten gold. This song always takes me back to that moment and that time in my life. Memories burn brighter than the sun sometimes.

Last edited:
Here is my song for this week. It's a narrative song outlining the events that led to the death of Captain Cook on Hawaii Island in 1779.

When I uploaded it, I was told there was a copyright issue with some sections of the song "using the melody of "If Morning Comes" - A song I had never heard of. I listened to it and can't see the remotest resemblance. If robots are going to decide what is an infringement of copyright and what isn't then we are in deep doo doo. The verses of the song use the standard G C D chords and surely they can't be copyrighted.This is a dangerous step on the road to Youtube for the elite who have succeeded and not for us unknown songwriters. And Lord knows how it affects "covers".... The beginning of the end for YouTube?

Anyone else had problems with this new "automatic" procedure?

https://youtu.be/TNRfhk7RiHU
i've noticed that new page we have to go through in the upload process, where they say they are checking for copyright issues... i haven't had a problem so far but it's only been a little while they've been doing this... but given how short a time we're talking about, and how many out of our pretty small band of uke-ers have hit a problem already, it seems to be an extremely poor sort of "checking" that they are doing. has anyone appealed against the dodgy decisions?

ok, here is another homemade-y, ms. bean!

Ukulele Lady by Gus Kahn & Richard A. Whiting - 1925

I did this song for Season #450. I hope it's not too early to repeat a song, but it was mentioned today that this one hasn't been done yet this season and it would be a shame for a season called Aloha Spirit to go by without this song.

I just checked and, although I'm wearing the same straw pork pie hat as I wore in Season #450, I have a different Hawaiian shirt. I bought the pork pie hat on an island, but not Hawaii (I bought it in Newfoundland.)

Last edited:
Hey, Sabine!

It's been a hectic couple of weeks and I've not had nearly the time I'd have liked. Apologies for my late showing but I've hopefully snuck in before last orders with a hastily performed something that kinda fits the bill! (At least I found time to dig out a suitable shirt...)

Cheers!

Inspired by Jim's "Dirty Talk" I tried also to send some Aloha Spirit, track 1/voice&uke, track 2/Kala-8-string&reverb. Maybe the melody has changed somehow...

Last edited:
MY HILO GIRL, published in 1922
Lyrics & Music: Walter Smith

Intro C D G7 C

Verse
C G7 F G7 C
Isle where love flows ten-der-ly
Am Em D7 G7
Fragrant moon rose blooms for me
C G7 F G7 C
When the twilight fades for night
Am Em D7 G7
Love grows strong and eyes grow bright

Chorus
C D D7 G7 G9 C G7
Hilo dream girl sing me the sweet song of love to cheer me
C D D7 G7 G9 C
Hilo dream girl your eyes like night skies above
Am Em
Glowing with love light that bends with each star
Dm Am D7 G7
While love songs echo from my steel guitar
C D D7 G7 C
Hilo dream girl sing me the sweet song of love

Sunday proved to be quite busy with another 10 songs submitted by Bonesigh, Alan, Andrew, Lynda, Jim, Bob, Heinz and myself. Thanks for all your lovely contributions. They've brightened up an otherwise drizzly afternoon. We're now gearing up for the last 12 hours in this season. Maybe Ralf still has a song up his sleeve? We'll find out tomorrow...

Ah, right on cue!

Our amazing Ukulele Underground hosts taught me (and likely thousands of others) to play this modern classic from the Mana'o Company.

Last edited:
Top Bottom