rebel ukuleles hms podcast

rafter

Reaction score
I just finished watching Hawaii Music Supply's latest video/podcast with The Rebel founder and owner Peng. As a fan of their products, it was a fun and interesting listen. Peng comes across as such a genuinely decent and likeable guy. I was surprised to hear he's a high school teacher as well. I guess there isn't tons of money in building ukuleles.

As I was listening, I couldn't help but think of the HMS episode with Kala nearly two years ago. I think Kala is currently the world's largest ukulele manufacturer. They're all over the place (except Mim's).

I'm not sure what made the Kala episode came to mind, but there seems to be such a contrast between the two episodes and companies. I'm sure I watched with some bias, but both episodes seem to reinforce my opinions about the two companies.

Anyway, the Peng episode is a good one if you're a fan of The Rebel ukuleles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuCHyFdXhRs&t=946s

I'm a big fan of Rebel. I'll have to go watch this now. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, it is a good podcast and interesting to learn more about Rebel's history and philosophy. I appreciate the creatively they bring to their uke building. I have not, yet, played one of their ukes but the insights I gained from the HMS podcast make me one to try a Rebel sometime.

I do love my Rebel ukuleles -- thanks!

Does anyone have a link to the Kala interview, or more specific search terms by which to find it?

~ S.

I do love my Rebel ukuleles -- thanks!

Does anyone have a link to the Kala interview, or more specific search terms by which to find it?

~ S.

I think that it is this one, Episode 19.27 that they are referring to.

(I loaded up their YouTube channel and just looked back to find it.)

I think that it is this one, Episode 19.27 that they are referring to.

(I loaded up their YouTube channel and just looked back to find it.)

Ah, thanks much! I was looking back too far, while also missing your link to the same in the thread I’ve referenced below.

1) Peng (The Rebel Ukulele) is a delight, as are his instruments. I really enjoyed the episode, and— if possible— appreciate my Rebel ukuleles even more. :) Thanks, @rafter !

2) The Kala Episode: that was an awkward* and informative watch.
I now understand better how it times up with Mim's departure as a Kala dealer, as she explains in the UU thread here. A difficult time for some well-established Kala dealers, indeed.

*In addition to some of the understandable tensions in the discussion, I regretted that the the third HMS participant (a salesman whom I don’t often see in their videos?) didn’t sit back and allow Andrew's remarks and questions room to breathe and await response; the salesman's contributions made for a sometimes-frustrating experience here at this distance. Granted, I was watching with hindsight (heh) and focus, and perhaps others were grateful for the diversions?

Back to the good!
I was fascinated to hear Peng talk about how even the 'same' production ukuleles can be different with each run; they are always fine-tuning, tweaking, improving their bracings and such, just because that's what they want to be doing.

I look forward to what Rebel does next (with hopes/fears that they soup up some of the smaller models, instead of just the Tenor size they've seemed to focus on for their greatest flights of imagination and good humor).

~ S.

I have been following Pen for several years now, and indeed, this person radiates a lot of positiveness and talent through the screen, he literally disposes to himself. I think Pen has very good develop empathy. Check out see this page to learn more about empathy and why these people need to be protected. My ukulele is from the Kamaka brand, but I have been thinking about purchasing a tool from The Rebel for a long time.

This captures my sentiments as well... also, local dealer of one of these brands sends back like 1/3 of the inventory they get... what happens to the send-backs & so unsustainable... And the almost-kinda-slick & subtly sales-i-ness is not unnoticed.
It's not a matter of watching w bias... the character of each reveals themselves. Depending on ones ethics, bias might inevitably happen as a consequence of having standards.

...I'm not sure what made the Kala episode came to mind, but there seems to be such a contrast between the two episodes and companies. I'm sure I watched with some bias, but both episodes seem to reinforce my opinions about the two companies.
I like this reposting as Peng's live & let live (or at least tolerate, for me) attitude is helpful beyond just ukes...
Anyway, the Peng episode is a good one if you're a fan of The Rebel ukuleles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuCHyFdXhRs&t=946s

Top Bottom