Carbon fiber custom - actually asking for a friend!

Piecomics

Reaction score
I briefly had a pono nui. A friend tried it and loved the size and feel of it. But he is always on the road and sticks to carbon fiber.

Does anyone know of a maker who does good work with carbon fiber, and is willing to take on a project like that?

Many thanks!

I looked up Pono NUI. Looks like it's a baritone?

Alistair with Emerald Guitars can build just about anything you can dream up. I'm sure it'd cost a lot to get something completely custom though...I would assume quite some time to make as well.....and who knows if it'd have the sound your friend wanted in the end. You'd be looking at thousands of dollars surely..
https://emeraldguitars.com/

The only carbon fiber builder that currently offers a baritone that I know of is Synergy Instruments in Canada. The specs aren't like the Pono though. They're new to the game. I have no experience with them personally, but some here have their instruments.

Last edited:
Emerald may be your best bet for that, maybe have them convert an Amicus to a uke? It won't be cheap by any means, but likely the closest you'll get (likely$4,000+ range). Sumimaru makes at big body tenor, which is very high quality, but not a Baritone. I have no experience with Synergy's Baritone, but they're still working out some bugs in the other sizes.

1. Emerald guitars

Last year the "in stock" page of the website offered a 4-string (aka tenor) guitar. Not sure it was made using the x7 ver3 mold (sound box 14.2" x 18" x 4.5") or the old x7 ver2 mold (13.4" x 16.5" x 3.7"). Don't remember the exact price but seem to recall $3300.

Having made at least one 4-string they're likely open to making another. Will want to ask soon as they plan to take fewer irregular orders.

2. KLOS Guitars

Their 'hybrid' guitars have a carbon fibre body and a detachable wood neck - great for travel. I saw a picture of one with a 4-string neck so it may be available special order.

They offer a travel guitar (11.5" x 15" x 3.5") and a full size (15" x 19" x 4.3").

3. Journey Instruments

The compact "overhead" model (12.5" x 18" x 4") has a removable click and lock neck - 6-string or 4-string bass.

The medium size 'road trip' (14.5" x 18" x 4") :as a 6-string bolt-on neck.

Journey also makes many models of wood travel guitars so may be willing to provide a carbon fibre body with a wood neck.

=> A baritone player can leave off two bass strings, or play guitar chords which are basicly the same as baritone chords.

PS. I bought a NUI. Loved the tone. Was too quiet for playing with guitars so returned it to the store.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom