Soprano jazz tuning?

Reaction score
Hi forum members! I recently started to play jazz on my soprano and have a question, since I saw some play the old tunes in aDf#b tuning. What would you recommend, this D6 tuning or just the standard C?

In my opinion, D tuning will give you a brighter sound.
C tuning should be a bit mellower. My preference would be C tuning, but it all is subjective.

Here's what I do. i play the A6 tuning. I do it because I like the feel of the strings at that reduced tension. However, I have to mention that I do not play sopranos and therefore I do not know how one would sound at that tension. As SailingUke mentioned, it is all subjective. There is no right or wrong. So play whichever tuning appeals to your ears.

In my opinion, D tuning will give you a brighter sound.
C tuning should be a bit mellower. My preference would be C tuning, but it all is subjective.

I agree with this, I've tried other tunings but it just doesn't sound the same.

I really like D tuning on some sopranos, especially vintage ones that were built when that tuning was common. However, I never had much luck with using regular C tuning strings. That always made the tension high and caused the ukes to sound strangled. I like the Aquila 33U set for D tuning, which they are intended for (they have about as much tension as C tuning strings in C tuning). My 1920s Lyon&Healy only sounds great in D tuning and kind of dull in C tuning.

I have a vintage Martin soprano and a vintage Gibson banjo uke and both are tuned in D tuning. I don't know what it is about vintage ukes but I really like D tuning on them. The Martin sounds excellent with regular C tuning as well but I like the thought of playing and tuning it like it was originally.

I use the D'Addario EJ65S clear nylon set for the D tuning and I think they sound fantastic. Since it has a higher pitch by default the sound the nylon strings make isn't too warm but it isn't overly bright either. I'd highly recommend anyone to try D tuning on their soprano with these strings in particular. GHS makes a decent set as well but their strings are a bit too thin for my taste.

I have an old (cheap) soprano ukulele that I bought as a wall hanger. It sounds very "boxy" in in the now standard "C" tuning, but take it up a step and it really comes alive :)
I'll not suggest that it was "built that way" … it's little more than a 50-year-old mass-produced "toy", so I'm even surprised that it plays in tune, but just goes to show it's often worth-while trying these things.
You, too, may be surprised ;)
Inevitably - YMMV :music:

Top Bottom