Any of the old crew still here? I see a lot of names I do not recognize.

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Been a long time since I posted. Any of the guys/gals here from years ago?

This place has changed . Lots of the old names dont show up anymore . Maybe they are just lurking and not posting .
I think when they saw that you left , they left too .:rolleyes:
I remember You Tudorp , and your tiny ukes .
I usually check the forum daily , but it is very different and I try not to post
but sometimes I just have to.
Nice to see You are still here.

This place has changed . Lots of the old names dont show up anymore . Maybe they are just lurking and not posting .
I think when they saw that you left , they left too .:rolleyes:
I remember You Tudorp , and your tiny ukes .
I usually check the forum daily , but it is very different and I try not to post
but sometimes I just have to.
Nice to see You are still here.

I remember you too. I haven't made ukes in many years since my stroke. I still have my very first one, that everyone that sees it loves it. I have several that are in mixed stages of build I would like to someday finish. People keep telling me I need to start making them again. Someday maybe I will. They were fun to build, and very therapeutic.

I remember you. Your posts were always kind and informative.
You had some health issues, hope they have passed.

I spent a few years here posting on the Seasons thread - now I just pop in & leave the occasional comment - I keep meaning to come back & post something in one of the Seasons, but I've mainly moved on to harmonicas, whistles, & flutes - I just seem to prefer blown instruments these days.

I've become a lurker in more recent years. Got into banjos, though I still enjoying ukes. Being active on the forum ate up quite a bit of time, and often it would induce UAS! I do miss the days of active community participation, though. I still see plenty of folks around here that also were active some years ago.

Has there been a lack of new users? I wonder if younger players, "the next generation" ones, favor platforms like Reddit over traditional forums. Then again, the place here still seems fairly active.

I remember you Tudorp. I came here in 2014. I come to visit several times a week. I've moved on a bit in my musical journey but I still play my uke and I like this place. It is where I started.

I remember you Tudorp. I came here in 2014. I come to visit several times a week. I've moved on a bit in my musical journey but I still play my uke and I like this place. It is where I started.

Where has your musical journey led you? Last time we wrote, you were avidly busking and had just started playing at public venues! Your progress had always been impressive to me (you started just a year after me), as was your laid back, down to earth approach to making music. While I was busy buying instruments, you were busy playing your uke.

To those that remember, I did have a medical emergency years ago, and suffered a stroke then as well. I was a very large guy if you remember. But had lost over 300 lbs over the past several years after my episode, and started eating much healthier than I used to. Still an old fat guy, but not nearly as huge as I was then. I am 6'5" and tipped the scales at over 700 lbs back then. I played the Uke all the time, and taught kids around my neighborhood as well, as well as restoring old ukes that I ended up giving to kids that used to come around that I would get started playing. One kid I remember was a troubled kid. if you remember me talking about him, he was very "Gothy" and dark. He used to walk down the street in front of my house when I would be on the porch playing. I noticed he would watch me as he slowly walked by, and after some time, I motioned for him to come over to the porch because I wanted to talk with him. He was reluctant at first, because adults generally wouldn't have much to do with him. I played a couple songs for him, and he really liked them, and took a strong interest in the Uke. I ended up making him a Uke in a very dark, "Goth" theme. The day I gave it to him, he came by and I was playing some, then showed him the Goth uke I thought he would think was cool. I told him he could play it with me while I played mine. At the end of that afternoon, I told him the Uke was his, and he could take it home with him. After awhile, he didn't come around anymore, but years later, I saw him again. I didn't recognize him, because he wasn't dressed in all black, and hair much different. He was a man at that point. He reminded me who he was, and of course I remembered him. he told me he still has that Uke and still plays it. He made me tear up a little because he told me that what I did for him changed his life. He said adults didn't understand him at that time, and maybe I didn't either, but it didn't matter to me. He said I was the only adult that ever showed him any interests. He explained that our short time together changed his whole outlook on life. Just after high school, he got over his dark "Goth" thing, and decided to join the community as an actual man. What he told me meant the world to me, and made me proud of him. I am still in contact with that "kid" today even though I moved to Texas, and he is still in Michigan. Anyway, after my stroke, I lost a lot of dexterity in my left arm and hand. I had hoped I would regain it in time, but I never did fully. I can't play like I used to, but still have my Ukes, and do still break them out every so often and pluck at them. Even though I can't play like I once did, I still find it relaxing. It does seem to me that the Uke "fad" kind of faded over the years, and I don't hear much about them anymore like we did years ago. But, they are still fun to play. Also, if you remember my young teen daughter was quite the musician herself, vocalist, and guitarist. She was playing guitar since she was 6 years old. She still sings, but doesn't play guitar as much as she used to, but can still shred it pretty good when she brings it out. Her life has moved on too as most of us has. She is married now, and very happy. She ended up marrying a very good man that treats her like a queen. I am proud of them, and happy about that. But, still doing good, and just trucking on along with life. Life is good. Loving it here back in Texas (where we are originally from). Hope to hear from others I used to talk to a lot here.

Hi Tudorp I certainly remember you as I joined back in 2014. Thank you so much for the update on your life. That was a wonderful thing you did for the “Goth Kid” and it’s so heartwarming to hear he turned out to be a good man and citizen. Bless you and keep strumming however you can.

I'm still here, Tony.

I haven't really posted any videos for a while, because... Well, with the whole COVID thing, and not being able to play with others, and then lost my dad, then being laid off from my school district a week later... Yeah, things happen.

But I'm still here, still noodling, and still checking the forum daily.

My best to you and your family, and it is great to know that you are still around.

-Kurt​

Sorry Tudorp, I just don't remember you! :p But, I must confess that my own participation has been on again, off again over the years.

Last edited:
Hi Tudorp - I remember you from when I joined in early 2014. I am moved by your story of the young Goth man. It is wonderful that the little seeds we plant can grow into beautiful things. Enjoy your ukes in your own way. I can't play as well as I used to either, but I still love my ukuleles.

Has there been a lack of new users? I wonder if younger players, "the next generation" ones, favor platforms like Reddit over traditional forums. Then again, the place here still seems fairly active.

It sure isn't reddit. The ukulele subreddit is less active than here.

Where has your musical journey led you? Last time we wrote, you were avidly busking and had just started playing at public venues! Your progress had always been impressive to me (you started just a year after me), as was your laid back, down to earth approach to making music. While I was busy buying instruments, you were busy playing your uke.
Thank you for the very kind words. The last year has curtailed much of my busking and coffee shop gigs, but it looks like I'll be at it again soon. I'm playing a music festival in April. I started playing guitar again. I used to play guitar a long long time ago. I have not abandoned my ukulele and still play it often, but it has taken second chair this last year, so to speak. But I'm still here participating and I still belong to a ukulele group that meets online weekly and we hope soon to get back together in person. I still feel at home and have friends here.

Top Bottom