How To Turn A Tenor Ukulele Into A Baby Baritone

Wow! That's really a nice concept. I've just got to convert a couple of my Tenors to that DGBE setup. I don't know about doing it right now though. Most of my instruments are in storage while a new house is being built. I think I'll wait on this until I'm settled in my new digs. But, I'm definitely going to do it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

When tuned to a baritone's D3 G3 B3 E4 , a tenor's body is simply too small to provide the resonance needed for sound purity of the low notes. It's like souping up a Yugo. Blah Meh Yuck :p.

Now, if you take a baritone body, give it a tenor-scaled neck, and tune it G3 C4 E4 A4 ------ well, NOW you're talking!!!

Last edited:
I think the d-GBE tuning is fine for the tenor, Fremont makes a set of strings for this tuning and they work really well. The Low D is better for a baritone size.

I installed the Pepe Romero Baby Baritone Strings on my Pono Cedar top, mahogany sides tenor. It sounds great with outstanding sustain. With the G tuning its has a beautiful warm sound.

if low D is what you are after, the A string from a classical guitar set works nicely. I've got an Outdoor tenor set up with low D,GBE for bad weather outdoor gigs and it works fine. no one's gonna mistake it for a solid wood baritone though.

Or you could change a baritone to a large tenor

Body depth of the Tenor is a factor in the sound? I don’t read talk about do you depth. Help me out and tell me the model and depth of the tenor bodies that sound good DGBE. I love the sound of dGBE but I bought the baby Bari strings but dang, I would need another Tenor because my one tenor sounds too good dGBE to change.

... my one tenor sounds too good dGBE to change.
Down-tuning a standard-sized tenor to dGBE is like trying to make a trumpet sound like a trombone. The tenor's small body simply CANNOT do justice to those low notes. That is why bass violins are waaaay bigger than regular violins, and stereo woofer speakers are much larger than tweeters.

Since you like your tenor tuned dGBE (which is D3 G3 B3 E4), then get thyself an Ohana BKT-70. It has a tenor scale with a baritone body. Sold spruce top, hog B&S --- HERE is a picture.

The Ohana is a "super tenor". Super tenors are a "new trend" in ukuleles. Why? Because many folks like a ukulele to have some low range as opposed to total twanginess. You can hear & see several of the"new trend" super tenors being demonstrated HERE.

A super tenor will give your dGBE plenty of room for its low notes. Since you like your standard-size tenor at that tuning, a super tenor will literally blow you away at that same tuning.

Lyle Ritz played using DGBE tuning on his Gibson and later Ko'olau tenor uke on his legendary recordings

Top Bottom