Benefit Concert for Gamiao Family

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I got an email from Craig and Sarah, (I'm on their email list), that there is a benefit concert for Kalei Gamiao tomorrow. His family was apparently hit by the flooding in HI, and of course, the pandemic is hard on so many people anyway.

There was a link for a gofundme, but it doesn't work for me. I guess that's how one is supposed to contribute to the benefit concert, though?

I also can't figure out the time, (12:30 HI time, but I don't know how that translates to anything on the main land - and doesn't HI have more than one time zone?)

I'm easily confused, it appears, and not a very good source of information. :eek:

But, maybe someone here knows more and can fill in the details. The list of the performers looks great: Jake, Brittni, Kalei, Herb Ohta Jr, Bryan Tolentino, "and more."

I didn't get that email. Maybe I got dropped off the list. I sure would like to listen, and make a donation.

12:30 Hawaii time is 3:30 pm PDT (West Coast) and 6:30 pm EDT. They are NOT on daylight savings time so this is different than a few weeks ago.

Thanks, rainbow21, for clarifying the time for me.

The link to watch is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZNg99MfXao

And that has a working link for the gofundme, which I didn't realize before. I hadn't looked at YT yet, and just tried the one in the email.

These are hard times for so many, for so many reasons. I hope that this will help their family out.

HawaiiNewsNow coverage Gamiao family, floods March 22, 2021

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/...ame-scary-sign-flood-problems/?outputType=amp

74402F67-F8CB-4C72-809D-D4D2C9AA13A9.jpg

"Haleiwa families: Major flooding could’ve been prevented, if someone had listened to them"
By Mahealani Richardson | March 22, 2021 at 5:40 PM HST - Updated March 22 at 6:39 PM

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - Longtime Haleiwa residents say the historic flooding almost two weeks ago could have been prevented, but their pleas for help went nowhere.

The Gamiao family has lived on their Haleiwa property for four generations.

The raging waters inundated the entire property and damaged one of their homes.

For years, they say, Paukauwila Stream has getting more clogged with invasive mangrove and debris and residents say it needs to be dredged.

“It’s kind of a scary sign that the river is starting to shrink,” said Kalei Gamiao.

In 1974, a flood in the same area left three dead and two missing. Kalei Gamiao’s father, Derek, was in elementary school and lost one of his classmates.

“One of my classmates, we didn’t know that he passed away. We didn’t understand and then we found out he was swept into the water that same river with his family,” he said.

Residents say they’ve met with government officials after past storms, demanding that the clogged streams need to be dredged and hearing promises of help.

“We’ve been hearing this for 30, 40 years. Everyone gets all excited and then it just falls flat,” said Haleiwa resident Mike Lyons.

On Monday, three teams from FEMA joined the state and county to assess the damage.

“The governor will look at the damages and the data we provided and decide whether he’s going to make a request to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, to the president for a federal disaster declaration,” said Veronica Verde, FEMA spokesperson.

The City says it maintains 10 feet above and 10 feet below the Haleiwa Road Bridge.

“Our inspectors have verified that the City maintained area near Haleiwa Road is clear. Anything Mauka or Makai is not City jurisdiction, however we are reaching out to other agencies to coordinate on the inquiry,” said Tim Sakahara, Mayor Blangiardi’s spokesman.

Meanwhile, the Gamiaos say community support has been overwhelming, but they’re still worried about the water rising again.

Copyright 2021 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Benefit concert just started, for those who are interested.

They should sell recordings of this to help raise money. I'd love to have a recording of it. (I realize that's not going to happen, though.) This duet with Herb and Jake is beautiful. My dog is barking along, though not quite in tune.

The YouTube video also includes Kalei's PayPal address, so you can donate to his PayPal account so that gofundme doesn't take a cut.

They should sell recordings of this to help raise money. I'd love to have a recording of it. (I realize that's not going to happen, though.) This duet with Herb and Jake is beautiful. My dog is barking along, though not quite in tune.

The event is posted on Craig and Sarah's YouTube site now. Those viewing it will can still donate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZNg99MfXao&t=10s

The YouTube video also includes Kalei's PayPal address, so you can donate to his PayPal account so that gofundme doesn't take a cut.

PayPal also charges fees. They stated that the GoFundMe is the platform for the fundraising and provided the Paypal link as some donors requested it. I do not begrudge the fees at all since it has enabled them to raise over $19k dollars in a very short time and is a wonderful business for so many people to fundraise for good causes and emergencies.

Top Bottom