Tahitian ukulele strings

Rob Uker

Reaction score
I want to build a Tahitian ukulele.
They are usually 8 stringed and each string is double up and tied to a tailpiece.
So I need to buy strings that are twice as long as normal tenor strings.
Does anyone know where I can buy these?

Worth strings come twice as long as they need to be. You can actually cut them in half and have two sets.

Also, I know that there are some people that use spools of fishing line to string up their ukuleles. I don't do it myself and therefore have no details for you, but at least you have a lead to search for

I've seen a lot of Tahitian ukuleles in their native habitat. It seems very unlikely that anyone packages string sets. Figure out what lb. test works for your scale length. Buy some fishing line. I'd be surprised if they use any sort of fancypants fluorocarbon. If you're going after the authentic look, make sure you get the yellow-green fluorescent stuff.

i have seen string sets at The Ukulele Site not sure on their website but you can send a message and find out but like David and Chuck say all the gauges are the same 12 lb test sounds about right

Thanks so much!!!
I never have seen one up close.
How do they sound?

How do they sound?

Somewhere in between a conventional ukulele and and underpowered banjo. A key to the Tahitian sound is the very fast drumming style that can be seen in YouTube vids. When those guys get rockin', it's really its own kind of magic. Very special and unique.

tahitian ukelele fan

Hi.
I'm super fan of Tahitian Ukelele

In Tahiti and Easter Island they use a yellow fishing line, Tortue 0,40 or 0,45 in all strings. Thats what i still use. I bought one of each, 100meters, so it should last for a long time.
I recently uploaded a video showing how to play a traditional Tahitian song called Himene Tatarahapa, in the version of master Vehia Paraue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN_BWMSGyng

Thanks Patico,
The video was awesome and your advice was extremely helpful.

Hi.
I'm super fan of Tahitian Ukelele

In Tahiti and Easter Island they use a yellow fishing line, Tortue 0,40 or 0,45 in all strings. Thats what i still use. I bought one of each, 100meters, so it should last for a long time.
I recently uploaded a video showing how to play a traditional Tahitian song called Himene Tatarahapa, in the version of master Vehia Paraue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN_BWMSGyng

That is some fun playing! I really enjoyed your video.

Top Bottom