Would you sell...?

Wow! Your question brought out lots of folks.

Keep it. Hang it on the wall if it's a space issue. It'll remind you of the fun you had playing it in the past. And has been pointed out ... you never know.

Another voice for keeping it. I have quite a few instruments I've collected over the years and as long as they are playable, I put them on the wall and wait for the inspiration to strike. My son has picked up the guitar, so he is keeping that in his room, but the others are playable wall art. None are especially valuable or especially sentimental. That would change my thinking some. As others have said, as long as you don't need the money or space, hang on to it.

Yes keep it. It's always good to have at least one guitar around the house and this one is your first. If you try to sell it you won't get nearly as much for it as you or your parents put into it. It can also be something nice to give to your child or grandchild when they hit the teenage years. I still have my first guitar and will hang on to it even though I have several high end instruments that I prefer to play.

I have a guitar that I bought 16 or so years ago and stopped playing regularly maybe 13 years ago. I played bass the rest of the time until focusing on uke full time this last year. Anyhow, I have often thought about selling or giving away the guitar but I have friends who play guitar and for some reason I am hesitant to remove my guitar from the house in case one of them shows up and wants to jam. Of course, in that scenario, they'd probably bring their own guitar. My bass isn't really an issue because I spilled too much beer in the pickups during performing and it's been shot for a while. I guess what I'm saying is we should probably both get rid of our guitars.

That is the sweetest story I've read or heard in a long time.

Bluesy.

When my wife and I were first married, we received some advice from a friend who said every marriage needs a keeper and a thrower-away-er. I’m definitely the keeper, and that will color my advice to you:

Play the guitar every day for a month. Then consider how you now feel about this instrument that was once so special to you.

Ask yourself whether you are a keeper or a thrower-away-er. Ask yourself whether you could bear it if you gave it to a younger relative who abused it, sold it, or simply discarded it.

I’ve reached a point in my life where the need to downsize will be in my near future. I’ll be wrestling with the same decisions. It will be hard for me.

Wow, I am so appreciative of the time you all have taken to share your words of wisdom. It's definitely been food for thought today. I am the "thrower-away-er" in my marriage Futurethink, and like Mivo, have been in a purging phase the past couple of years. My motto has been: if you don't use it, lose it. Unless! something holds special sentimental value or is difficult to replace. My Norman was not an expensive guitar, but it does indeed hold special sentimental value and is difficult to replace as I believe it has been discontinued in its particular body shape and styling, despite being the foundation guitar for Norman since the 1970s.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is that this discussion has given me good reason to keep this instrument. 70sSanOs, your story reminded me of something my sister said to me when I told her I was thinking of selling my Norman. She also was going to set money aside to buy it in order to keep it in the family due to fond memories of me playing it...
I will likely revisit the idea in some years, but for now I've decided to keep it. I like the idea of playing it everyday for a month to see what happens :)
Thanks again everyone!

I've had a Norman B-20 Folk since 2003 (bought new). It needs a new nut due to a bogus set up a few years ago, but still sounds and plays really well. I don't plan to part with it anytime soon. If I play guitar it's usually my Taylor, but that Norman is special to me. So, yes I'd keep yours if I were you. Even if you get another uke. After all ukes don't take up much space. Just my $.02

Small things that I don't use but having sentimental value, I usually keep. Once a while, I'll throw them when I'm in extreme cleaning mode; then sometimes I'd regret.

BTW, one thing I don't regret was digitizing all my photos and converting my videos into digital formats. I finally threw away the originals a few years ago (with a little trepidation at the time, but turns out I never missed them). However, this isn't the case with my CD collection. I also digitized them all and finally threw away the originals; this I kind of regret because I sometimes want to see the cover art and read the inserts.

For a uke, I'd keep it if it has sentimental value. For a guitar, I'd probably sell it (too big).

Nice to see another Norman B20 Folk! It really does play well, doesn't it? I like the classical body shape; I believe the B20s are now available only as dreadnoughts.

BTW, one thing I don't regret was digitizing all my photos and converting my videos into digital formats. I finally threw away the originals a few years ago (with a little trepidation at the time, but turns out I never missed them).

For a uke, I'd keep it if it has sentimental value. For a guitar, I'd probably sell it (too big).

Good idea on digitizing the photos.
And yes, I love the size of ukuleles compared to guitar in many ways. Take up less space...and the guitar feels massive now when I do pick it up!

Looks like it's worth maybe $300-$400...will that change your life? I still have my first uke, it's a $45 Lanikai, I never play it, but I'll always keep it, it was my first, it's irreplaceable.

Good idea on digitizing the photos.
And yes, I love the size of ukuleles compared to guitar in many ways. Take up less space...and the guitar feels massive now when I do pick it up!

I really love it (digitizing the photos).

I actually did it twice. The first time was in 2002, but the image quality wasn't very good. I did it again in 2010, and this time, the quality was good enough (I can make large prints of good quality) so I'm finally rid of those old photos/negatives.

The main benefit is that a digitalized version will not deteriorate with time (note: you need to watch your storage medium lifetime) and you can make backup copies. An unexpected benefit is the convenience of sharing those photo; the recipients can keep them :)

Keep it. My wife has kept the guitar that she had in highschool and that would be forty years she's had it. Keeping it has not hindered her from buying and playing the ukulele, or any other instrument for that matter.

Looks like it's worth maybe $300-$400...will that change your life? I still have my first uke, it's a $45 Lanikai, I never play it, but I'll always keep it, it was my first, it's irreplaceable.

Yes, it's not a lot of money to be sure. I would have put it towards a purchase I've been liquidating other things for, but the memories of that guitar probably makes it worth more to me to keep it.

We have a rule, because this isn't a large house. If it hasn't been used/played in a year, it goes. The things that have gone: 2 fiddles, a cello, banjo, guitar, several ukes, (about a dozen), a banjouke.
We are ready to turn loose of a mountain dulcimer and at least one more guitar, maybe 2 more ukes. There are two more guitars that haven't been played since covid.
My philosophy is, someone else could be playing the things we don't play, why should they languish in a corner?

If you had several guitars you rarely played, I would like the idea of down sizing to just one, for the memories and in case you would want to play it again. Or have a guest who would like to entertainer on guitar but didn't bring one. But with just one guitar, I would definately keep it.

I would keep it, given its history. If it's really in the way, or if it would bring a high price, I would sell it. I tend to hold onto too many things, though. I have 100 ukuleles in my bedroom, so I might not be the one to ask about selling.

Wow 100 ukes in one room just sounds...really fun?! Ha ha

Top Bottom