Would you sell...?

Farkvam

Reaction score
I could post this in Guitar Talk, but it's technically a ukulele talk about a guitar ;-)
I am curious what ukulele players would say about this scenario, particularly if any of you have been there before as well.
I've had this sweet little Canadian made Norman B20 Folk acoustic guitar since I was 13 and loved playing it as a teenager. In the past twenty years since then (where does the time go?), I've only played it sporadically. I picked it up recently a few times and, while I'm admittedly attached to it, don't feel the same spark as back then. I've also had an entry level ukulele for about 15 years that I only played sporadically as well until the last two months. I've been playing the ukulele every day it is such fun! I'm currently waiting for a nicer (but still technically entry level) Ohana SK-25 as an upgrade.
My question: would you keep the guitar? It's not exactly in the way but I live in a condo so it does take up some space. Playing the uke might inspire me to play guitar again, but so far that remains to be seen. Lately I much prefer playing that ukulele.

Yes, I'd keep it. I still keep my French Horn, unplayed since 1975, and assorted other instruments that I haven't played in years. So, knowing me, I'd keep it.

If it's been several years and if it doesn't bring you joy to even handle it, let it go to someone who will enjoy it. I've had to do this many times over... "and in the end" (The Beatles) there is "peace of mind" (Rare Bird) to move on. "It only hurts for a little while" (The Ames Brothers/Anne Murray.)

Now if it does still have its charm, then by all means keep it.

-Wiggy

Last edited:
I played guitar for almost 50 years before I took up the ukulele in 2013. I still had the first brand new guitar I bought in 1975, an Ovation Applause 6 string acoustic. After a year of only playing the uke, I never touched my guitars and I gave away all four to my nephew, a very accomplished player, the Applause, an Applause 12 string, an Ibanez archtop jazz and a Fender Telecaster. I've never felt a need to play guitar again, the ukulele, as well as bass uke, fulfill me completely.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Only get rid of it if you're sure. I've read and heard many stories about people trying to hunt down their old guitars

I would say keep it. If you end up playing JUST ukulele for a long time, then maybe think again about selling it. Once it's gone you can't get it back. Of course you could get another guitar, but all those Canadian made brand names from the Godin company are nice and much more expensive now. So I'd say be sure about it.

On a personal note: I've sold my guitar(s) before to go all uke. I always ended up getting another guitar at some point.

You own it free and clear and you don't have to feed it. You are a young man and you may want to pick it up occasionally some time in the future. I'm for keeping it.

I'd keep it for now. You said you still has some attachment to it. Hard to get back if you let it go. Sometime down the road after you have played your ukulele's inside out you can think about it again. Several people in the local ukulele group play multiple stringed instruments, in our zoom meets they are sometimes played and I like the dimension this brings to the group. You may find yourself playing both instruments in the future.

I sell instruments I never play. Maybe it's because I don't have room for a ton of things, but it's more likely I don't really get very attached to things I don't use.

I'd keep it. I go through cycles of playing more uke than guitar and vice versa. I'm in a guitar phase right now because my 14-year old has picked up guitar so we are playing a lot together. You never know what might hit that switch and make you want to play guitar again.

After this amount of time together you may share memories that will be lost if you sell. I have a 1967 Gibson, I seldom play, but after 50+ years there is no way I will sell it.

My first real guitar was a combined birthday/Christmas gift when I was 13. Some years later, as with many young people, I needed money and had already sold one guitar and then asked my brother if he knew anyone who wanted to buy my Guild. So I sold it through him.

A number of years later when I had established myself financially, I was visiting my Mom. At some point during the visit she walks out carrying a case with my old Guild. She was the buyer and didn’t want me to lose my first guitar over a hundred bucks.

Even though I don’t play it much anymore I cherish having it back.

John

If you keep it, you will sometimes have a niggling thought as to whether it should be sold or not.

If you sell it (or give it away), you will VERY often feel like you have lost an old, very dear friend. Anyhow, that's what happened to me.

Unless you are desperate for $$, my advice is: keep it.

If you have the space and you don't mnd dusting it once a year, I'd hang on to it until you are certain you won't ever want to pick up guitar again.

Once you are certain, and you want to divest it, I'd give it to a charity.

Disclaimer: I'm a terrible pack rat. So, take what I suggest with that in mind.

I asked this same question about 6 years ago and followed the advice to keep my one and only guitar. I am sooooo glad I did as I started playing guitar again 2 years ago. The instrument also had a lot of good memories attached to it and I like looking at it as much as playing it. I am Canadian and the guitar is a Larrivee which was made in Vancouver back there so there is that tie as well.

I would keep it for now. I have a nice little Canadian Art & Lutherie Ami cedar topped parlor guitar, as well as a Taylor and some really nice Tacomas, and like you, I haven't played them in a long time. So I've been considering selling some of mine as well. I might sell the Tacomas, but I think the Art & Lutherie and the Taylor I would keep. The Ami is fun and sweet, and the Taylor is a cannon. I think I would be happy with those two if I pick up a guitar again.

I'd probably sell or donate it, but I've been in a "downsizing phase" for about a year now. It started with donating hundreds of books to a library, many of which I was attached to and had owned since I was a young man, and it felt quite liberating once I let the books go. That made it easier to let other things go, too. It's an on-going process, and the aim is to arrive at a point where I really only have stuff that is actively used or that serves a clear purpose. If I don't use it, I'd rather let someone have it that will use it.

But this is really a lifestyle philosophy and only because it seems to work wonderfully for me doesn't mean it will work for you. If you are still strongly attached to the guitar, it may be easier to let other things with less attachment go first, though I really like Bill1's idea of donating it to a charity or giving it to a child or teenager who may love the instrument and gain real joy from it, but can't afford one. Poverty is still a reality for many people (including their children), and a lot of us have much more than we need (although what those needs are is always individual).

Anyway, my own experience is that if I haven't used an instrument in two or so years, it's very unlikely that I'll go back to it for more than a short burst of renewed and quickly fleeting interest. But as you've read here, this is not the same for everyone.

keep it. Once it is gone, it's gone forever, and you never know what your passions will be years from now. If you have kids, or plan to have kids, they would enjoy having and/or playing the guitar or uke their Dad/Mom learned on. I have several guitar and basses, and ukes that I wished that I had kept.

Depends on your circumstances.

If you need the money, you need the money.

If you really feel you aren't going to play it again, then maybe it's time.

It's just stuff. I really love my ukes, but if they all went away I'd just get another.

Top Bottom