Converting lumber - the ultimate high

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Only 7 billets for resawing before I finally complete my stock inventory of wood that will see me through until retirement. See my craftsman and I putting a dull blade through it's paces: https://www.facebook.com/helen.howlett.731/videos/10160714350185130

To produce this awesome stuff:

165294467_10159293180311031_1304673909681788701_o.jpg

The 'book matched' pair on the left of the image will yield 4 Revelator body blanks. The third piece on the right of the image has yet to be resawn. I'll lop the first 13.25" from the top to be resawn into Revelator fronts. The remaining 41" will be resawn into body blanks.

I think for pretty obvious reasons, this just has to be a wood workers dream task. To end up looking like this:

157199893_10159237870011031_7745158400713093895_o.jpg

Last edited:
What type of blade do you use, Pete? That seemed to come off pretty clean.

The blade has a special tooth form and we get them here in the UK. It's a fine kerf blade about 3 -4 tpi with half size, interstitial teeth in the gullets that clear out the dust. Although our cuts are true, this blade goes in the 'for mdf and ply' box. It's not truly blunt; there again, it's not sharp enough for precision cuts in precious exotic tonewoods.

The blade has a special tooth form and we get them here in the UK. It's a fine kerf blade about 3 -4 tpi with half size, interstitial teeth in the gullets that clear out the dust. Although our cuts are true, this blade goes in the 'for mdf and ply' box. It's not truly blunt; there again, it's not sharp enough for precision cuts in precious exotic tonewoods.
Yes! Fast-cut... its my favorite resaw blade ..But i use a 1/4" 14 TPI for the delicate stuff.:cheers:

Unparalleled blade for re-sawing definitely. Fine kerf produces high yield and that no set 'gullet tooth' is a genius idea. I use 1/4" 6tpi for everything else.I'm glad we can still disagree on things Ken - I can't get those fine blades to work for me.

Unparalleled blade for re-sawing definitely. Fine kerf produces high yield and that no set 'gullet tooth' is a genius idea. I use 1/4" 6tpi for everything else.I'm glad we can still disagree on things Ken - I can't get those fine blades to work for me.

I've been trying out the "1/4" X M-42 Bi-metal triple hardened" blades that they supply..they are expensive but they cut reasonably well and seem to last for ever..(they claim to last 5 to 10 times longer than normal blades) but I dont think they do a 6 TPI version.

Last edited:

Damn, I wish I could get those over here! Both you and Tim speak very highly about them.
Thanks!

Wow. You don't often see that... imperial only measurements. Good job Ken is bi-lingual. My craftsman doesn't even know what an inch looks like... I'm terrified to ask him if he understands fractional measurement.

Wow. You don't often see that... imperial only measurements. Good job Ken is bi-lingual. My craftsman doesn't even know what an inch looks like... I'm terrified to ask him if he understands fractional measurement.

I understand, but of course, I am across the pond from you. Do you guys still use Imperial Gallons??? Never did understand those. ;-}

Anyway, yes, 105" x 3/4" is what I need. Translates to 266.7 cm, I believe, by 19mm??? Either you or Tim want to quote me a price shipped to Florida?
Thanks!

I understand, but of course, I am across the pond from you. Do you guys still use Imperial Gallons??? Never did understand those. ;-}

Anyway, yes, 105" x 3/4" is what I need. Translates to 266.7 cm, I believe, by 19mm??? Either you or Tim want to quote me a price shipped to Florida?
Thanks!
Ill see what I can do..but the Tuff-Saws website is not taking orders at the moment, it says due to being overloaded with work and he is trying to catch up.

Last edited:
I just had another look its up and running again... 3/4" X 105" fastcut blade =
15.50 UKP p&p 3.50 ..shipping to USA = 15.10 UKP (lowest I can find)
TOTAL 35.00 UKP or $48.41 USD...I know Wow! :uhoh:

Last edited:
Ken, how are the tuffsaw blades compared with a normal variable pitch blade? I have always used Trucut blades for my bandsaw.

Last edited:
Ken, how are the tuffsaw blades compared with a normal variable pitch blade? I have always used Trucut blades for my handsaw.

OK, now I am confused... not hard to do, I suppose.
What I am looking for is the variable tooth resaw blade that Tim cited in a previous post. Is that what we are discussing and what Tim has generously offered to get for me?? (the shipping is a killer!)
Thanks!

OK, now I am confused... not hard to do, I suppose.
What I am looking for is the variable tooth resaw blade that Tim cited in a previous post. Is that what we are discussing and what Tim has generously offered to get for me?? (the shipping is a killer!)
Thanks!

Sorry to cause confusion. From what I understand the tuffsaw blades have single smaller teeth every other tooth. A normal variable pitch blade has a row of larger teeth, then a row of smaller teeth. I was just enquiring if they perform the same or different.

Top Bottom