Converting lumber - the ultimate high

Sorry to cause confusion. From what I understand the tuffsaw blades have single smaller teeth every other tooth. A normal variable pitch blade has a row of larger teeth, then a row of smaller teeth. I was just enquiring if they perform the same or different.

No! the variable tooth form dos'nt leave as good a finish.

No! the variable tooth form dos'nt leave as good a finish.

and here is actually where my confusion is. I think...

Tim, I must have misunderstood you a while back (in another thread). I thought you were saying that the variable tooth was the way to go for resawing, but it seems you are actually saying that the tuffsaw is the best for the resaw finish. Do I have that right?

Pete, it seems like you are agreeing with Tim (or visa versa), saying these are great blades for clean resawing but when you say, "this blade goes in the 'for mdf and ply' box. It's not truly blunt; there again, it's not sharp enough for precision cuts in precious exotic tonewoods", I get confused again. Perhaps you mean that the blade doesn't stay sharp?? Would you please clarify what you are saying here?

Thanks to everyone for helping to clear my poor brain!

Sharp is a relative turn. As soon as you use any cutting tool for a composite it is useless for doing the job it war originally designed, for. These blades do cut for a long time hardwood and softwood very accurately.

Well, y'all. I think I finally see the light. After re-reading the entire thread I believe I follow what is being said. Again, sorry for the confusion.

"[RedCliff] Sorry to cause confusion. From what I understand the tuffsaw blades have single smaller teeth every other tooth. A normal variable pitch blade has a row of larger teeth, then a row of smaller teeth. I was just enquiring if they perform the same or dif"

Yes, good question. It seems the SuperTuff Fastcut would be the way to go - if only I could get one at an affordable price!

Yes, Tim. Wow! is quite appropriate.

Thanks all!

and here is actually where my confusion is. I think...

Tim, I must have misunderstood you a while back (in another thread). I thought you were saying that the variable tooth was the way to go for resawing, but it seems you are actually saying that the tuffsaw is the best for the resaw finish. Do I have that right?

Pete, it seems like you are agreeing with Tim (or visa versa), saying these are great blades for clean resawing but when you say, "this blade goes in the 'for mdf and ply' box. It's not truly blunt; there again, it's not sharp enough for precision cuts in precious exotic tonewoods", I get confused again. Perhaps you mean that the blade doesn't stay sharp?? Would you please clarify what you are saying here?

Thanks to everyone for helping to clear my poor brain!
Here is a video I made a while back using one of these blades. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I01VqMTBFic

I just had another look its up and running again... 3/4" X 105" fastcut blade =
15.50 UKP p&p 3.50 ..shipping to USA = 15.10 UKP (lowest I can find)
TOTAL 35.00 UKP or $48.41 USD...I know Wow! :uhoh:

Tim,

Turns out the Woodslicer with the variable tpi is virtually the same price here as the TuffSaw. Just to verify, this is the blade we are talking about:

3/4" - SuperTuff Fastcut 2281mm - 2735mm
Custom Blade Length in MM (optional): 2667

If so, I would certainly appreciate your help in obtaining one. If still willing, how do we proceed?

Thank you!

Tim,

Turns out the Woodslicer with the variable tpi is virtually the same price here as the TuffSaw. Just to verify, this is the blade we are talking about:

3/4" - SuperTuff Fastcut 2281mm - 2735mm
Custom Blade Length in MM (optional): 2667

If so, I would certainly appreciate your help in obtaining one. If still willing, how do we proceed?

Thank you!
Who is this “Tim” bloke you keep talking to ? ..it can’t be me cos my name is Kenneth. :confused:

Who is this “Tim” bloke you keep talking to ? ..it can’t be me cos my name is Kenneth. :confused:

Oh my. I know that, but I must blame the increasing years. So very sorry, Ken (Kenneth??? I thought you went by Ken.) Once confused, well little hope after that!

Last edited:
Just went to reorder some fastcut blades from Tuffsaws and received some bad news - they stopped producing the 1/2" wide fastcut blade a while ago. Their recommendation was the premium carbon varitooth, but after a bit more research on the world wide interweb I have decided to give these blades a try:

https://www.nlstools.co.uk/BsawHaCituW.html

They are primarily intended for meat & fish cutting, but apparently also work well for taking veneer cuts from hardwood. This youtube video is quite informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EvJvS2bVwI

Just went to reorder some fastcut blades from Tuffsaws and received some bad news - they stopped producing the 1/2" wide fastcut blade a while ago. Their recommendation was the premium carbon varitooth, but after a bit more research on the world wide interweb I have decided to give these blades a try:

https://www.nlstools.co.uk/BsawHaCituW.html

They are primarily intended for meat & fish cutting, but apparently also work well for taking veneer cuts from hardwood. This youtube video is quite informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EvJvS2bVwI

I remember the time Ken used his band saw to cut salmon, so this should be right up his alley. And I remember Pete said something to the effect of, tell me you're joking. :rotfl:

Oh dear, I have a pile of resawing to do and will have to check blade inventory and preserve the fast cut ones for precision work. I could not get on with those fish cutting blades. Hamilton Beaverstock in Newport had them over 15 yers ago and they just don't last. I'll need to talk to tuff saws. Will be doing my last large scale resawing before I stock the shelves for the last time in preparation for retiring from commissioned building, concentrating on my Nautilus Revelator design and offering more building and one-day technique courses.

I remember the time Ken used his band saw to cut salmon, so this should be right up his alley. And I remember Pete said something to the effect of, tell me you're joking. :rotfl:

True story folks ..a 12 LB frozen salmon, I cut it into steaks on the bandsaw using a 6 TPI blade, It worked great...But even after id cleaned the bandsaw as good as I could, (salmon scales eveywhere I remember) the workshop was stinking of fish for weeks afterwards :uhoh:

Last edited:
They still do 5/8" and 3/4" Pete - just the 1/2" gave them problems with manufacture. I am limited to 1/2" on my saw, but yours looks as if it will take wider?

Oh my. I know that, but I must blame the increasing years. So very sorry, Ken (Kenneth??? I thought you went by Ken.) Once confused, well little hope after that!

I'm only having a bit of fun...I have been called lots of different things in my lifetime...I was once refered to as a "Cult" .:)

I'm only having a bit of fun...I have been called lots of different things in my lifetime...I was once refered to as a "Cult" .:)

I've been called a number of things too, not to mention pronunciations and live by the idiom that I don't care what they call me as long as long as they don't call me late for dinner.

Top Bottom