Remember this old chestnut

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
When I was active here I used to upset nearly everyone with my aggressive views expressed in these words: Ukulele Making is not Guitar Making.

Well it goes without saying that I regret my earlier tone and have somewhat revised my views to re-emphasise (remember I started out as a guitar builder so I thought I knew a thing or two about it) that we can learn from guitar makers. This is one such recent influence that I thought would never break my wall of obstinacy and ukulele construction bigotry:

I have over the past 2 years used the theory and some of the design concepts articulated by Andy Powers to redesign my ukulele front bracing. It works, just like he says in the video... I think I am on my 100th hat for breakfast; I'm getting used to the taste of cotton and felt!

BTW And I wouldn't believe it myself but I have bought an American 'Yamaha':confused:. Sadly my Taylor Mini does not intonate well and is a really difficult guitar to hold and control. Saying that, so was my last one and I built that!

I made a V braced Uke last winter and was desappointed by the result.
Probably overbraced! There is not much you can do from the sound hole to correct that.

I made a V braced Uke last winter and was disappointed by the result.
Probably overbraced!

My first efforts at V bracing were also disappointing. I was definitely over bracing. It is an extremely strong bracing system primarily designed for steel string guitar tensions. You can go much, much lighter with an ukulele. It is a system that really works.

I'll record my thoughts on Monday. You have to interpret guitar construction and the ideas behind it. I'll deconstruct it for you.

I have been using a similar pattern, shaped like the letter A, rather than a V. It more closely follows the shape of the ukulele, which eliminates the need for some of the finger braces. I think the advantage of the design is it more fully utilizes the upper bout.
Brad

You only need 2 braces, one bridge patch and one sound hole reinforcement.... and this is only one part of a three part equation that I have considered. For me, the bracing mass is very important. For me, the 'perfect' execution of it is vital. And of course, for me, the other two ingredients which I will share on Monday are essential to the confidence I have in the changes I have made in the search for a simpler and more effective way of bracing the front of a small instrument like the ukulele.

Last edited:
You only need 2 braces, one bridge patch and one sound hole reinforcement.... and this is only one part of a three part equation that I have considered. For me, the bracing mass is very important. For me, the 'perfect' execution of it is vital. And of course, for me, the other two ingredients which I will share on Monday are essential to the confidence I have in the changes I have made in the search for a simpler and more effective way of bracing the front of a small instrument like the ukulele.

Hi Pete. When you have a moment, I'm interested to hear what you still have to say on the subject of bracing.

This whole subject is very confusing. And, I really wonder how accurate or meaningful subjective observations are when trying to compare two or more instruments, then relate whatever differences are perceived back to how the tops were braced. It all sounds way too iffy to me. There must be computer modeling software out there that can allow you to virtually construct a guitar, and objectively see what differences are created by various bracing patterns, different stiffness of braces, different densities and thicknesses of the wood, different shapes, etcetera. That way a builder could sit at the computer, and select where and how to achieve the effects desired in the finished instrument.

... Sadly my Taylor Mini does not intonate well and is a really difficult guitar to hold and control. Saying that, so was my last one and I built that!

Years ago when I was guitar shopping in apartment days, I was deciding between Baby Taylor & Little Martin. Someone pointed out the drastic difference in neck attachment & I've never really looked at any Taylors since.

Yes, that looks might like it has potential Brett. Nice and light. Where I got all fiddly with the thing is where the two braces go under the lower transverse brace. I had mine firmly attached to the brace thinking stability integrity. I think this is a critical piece of the design. My thinking now maybe is that NOT attaching them to the transverse brace might allow for more top movement. I would like to see a side by side comparison. But who has the time.

PM me Alain with your address and I'll send you a brace bar kit - you need some help with your construction principles. What size sound hole do you use?

Top Bottom