Are Uke Sales Up?

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Mim opened her website at 9AM Friday and within 10 hours she had met her quota for the week! I'm not complaining. The fact she takes care of herself, her family, her animals, and us makes her even more special.

HMS has raised 25% ($500) their uke purchase for free shipping and charge $40 for setup on under $400 ukuleles. I wouldn't begrudge Andrew and his great staff these prices. With their store flooding and fewer tourists stopping in, keeping a business alive is not easy.

However, I'm curious if uke sales overall are up or down. Does anyone know what's happening to ukulele sales in general, either at on-line or "brick & mortar" stores?

An interesting question. While I don't think I have the data to say for sure, I can help expand on your observation about Mim.

Back when lockdown started in the Spring of 2020, it was noticed that Mim was selling out early each week. That spawned this thread: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?145238-Lockdown-Entertainment&highlight=lockdown+entertainment and I started keeping track. At first I had things to the hour (because she was posting that info) but later I pretty much just started rounding to the nearest half-day. I have been updating my observations in that thread ever since, and we are closing in on a full year. I also started to keep track of it in a Google Docs spreadsheet, so if you want to see it in plot form, you can find that here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UeZUbYkDMX7JiKSsnakQ5UkJ3crQNB0f6p_ZDg0nxcI/edit?usp=sharing

In that time, Mim has only *not* hit her cap for the week 4 times. (She has taken 3 weeks off, which is what the "empty" weeks are on the graph.) What can we reasonably learn from this data?

Well, Mim is a one-person operation and has decided to not take on more orders than she can get done in a week. This is a very healthy idea, and kudos to her for setting limits. But we don't really know what those limits are, exactly, and it is possible that they fluctuate as other parts of her life may place demand on her time. I do know that she raised her cap around the holiday season (because she announced that on her site.)

What we can say, with some pretty solid certainty, is that demand has been consistently strong over the past year and shows no sign of slowing down at this time. (I think we can also say that Mim is one hard working woman and I think she should take on an apprentice. If I still lived in VA, I would consider quitting my job and beg the master craftswoman to take me on, but that is just my own personal daydream...)

This is just one retailer, but it looks like demand is strong.

I had been planning to make a post about this when we hit the one year anniversary of keeping data on this, but since you brought it up, I figured now was as good a time as any to talk about it.

I'd venture to wage that ukulele sales are up for the year 2020. A lot of people at home who could afford one or more bought instruments. Ukuleles, guitars, other user friendly instruments or instruments that people had played in the past and now had time to revisit. I know I have practiced/played a lot in the past year. Bought two ukulele's, sold one. There have been supply line and manufacturing issues across the globe so that too has affected finished product and pricing---including shipping.

An interesting question. While I don't think I have the data to say for sure, I can help expand on your observation about Mim. [SNIP]

I have been updating my observations in that thread ever since, and we are closing in on a full year. I also started to keep track of it in a Google Docs spreadsheet, so if you want to see it in plot form, you can find that here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UeZUbYkDMX7JiKSsnakQ5UkJ3crQNB0f6p_ZDg0nxcI/edit?usp=sharing

I had been planning to make a post about this when we hit the one year anniversary of keeping data on this, but since you brought it up, I figured now was as good a time as any to talk about it.

Nice Spreadsheet. Interesting that in 50 weeks Mim only missed her cap three times. I continue to appreciate how she structures what's important.

I am quite impressed that Mim can offer free shipping. I am not offering any of my rescued ukuleles now do to shipping cost. As many of you know, the year before last, I sold the last batch of rescued Martins for $300. I have a few others that are not quite in the Martin category but still nice sounding instruments, some may be preferable. I'm hoping that a new director and board will restore The USPS to some semblance of it's Constitutional Mandate.

I am living my UAS vicariously these days, and have been watching places like HMS, the UU marketplace, and the Kinnard website, among others. I haven't kept actual data, so am only going by what I *think* I've seen, but my guess is that lower end ukuleles are selling OK, but higher end ukuleles have stalled. Higher end ukuleles that, it seemed to me, would have sold quickly in the past, (here on UU, or elsewhere), hang around for longer periods of time now, and sometimes don't seem to sell at all.

So maybe the question of "Are uke sales up?" would need to define a price point for the question. Are the sales of entry level ukes up? Maybe so, as people look for ways to pass time at home. (I have no data to back that up one way or the other.) Are sales of high end ukes up? I think those sales have slowed, or even stalled, depending on the price point. (Unless we're talking about an auction of a Moore Bettah. Those sale prices are impressive!)

But, that's just from casual watching of the websites, and not really tracking details, so I could be wrong, (except about the impressive prices for the Moore Bettahs. I'm right about that!)

This is my gut impression and not based on any actual statistics: The low to mid range priced ukulele sales are up significantly....mainly due lots of people shut-in at home with time on their hands. Conversely, I believe sales of high end and custom ukes are down as first timers generally aren't high-end buyers....and old-timers, for the most part, are just playing what they got and waiting the shelter at home scenario out.

This is my gut impression and not based on any actual statistics: The low to mid range priced ukulele sales are up significantly....mainly due lots of people shut-in at home with time on their hands. Conversely, I believe sales of high end and custom ukes are down as first timers generally aren't high-end buyers....and old-timers, for the most part, are just playing what they got and waiting the shelter at home scenario out.

But first timers can be converted into high-end buyers within weeks if they like the ukulele and join this forum :)

Here's what I think will happen. Not too many new, first-timers will be getting ukes because they are ready to go out and have fun. The lockdown is almost over; I think there's serious talks that (in the US) by May, everybody who wants a vaccine will be able to get one. I'm going to be qualified next week (California is adding people over 50 to the list); and California is running behind many other states.

So, first there's still some leftover momentum for the cheaper ukes, e.g. < $200. But within 3 months, that's going to level off. There's going to be some sustainable increase in the higher end ukes (> $500) because some of those first-timers will continue with the instrument. There's also going to be more demand for uke teachers in the coming months as the lockdown eases. There's also going to be a glut of lower end ukes on sale at the start of next year when spring cleaning hits. If I'm a retailer, I'd be watching my stock of lower end ukes later this year because the demand might just dry up over night.

I am living my UAS vicariously these days, and have been watching places like HMS, the UU marketplace, and the Kinnard website, among others. I haven't kept actual data, so am only going by what I *think* I've seen, but my guess is that lower end ukuleles are selling OK, but higher end ukuleles have stalled. Higher end ukuleles that, it seemed to me, would have sold quickly in the past, (here on UU, or elsewhere), hang around for longer periods of time now, and sometimes don't seem to sell at all.

So maybe the question of "Are uke sales up?" would need to define a price point for the question. Are the sales of entry level ukes up? Maybe so, as people look for ways to pass time at home. (I have no data to back that up one way or the other.) Are sales of high end ukes up? I think those sales have slowed, or even stalled, depending on the price point. (Unless we're talking about an auction of a Moore Bettah. Those sale prices are impressive!)

But, that's just from casual watching of the websites, and not really tracking details, so I could be wrong, (except about the impressive prices for the Moore Bettahs. I'm right about that!)

I think there's some weirdness with the high-end ukes from Hawaii because of the lock down. I was following their pricing and availability because I was buying them. There was a big price increase from 2-3 years ago and a shortage of supply; I think this is due to the increase demand from lockdown and lost production from factory shutdowns. The thing is, the prices haven't gone back down from this combined, unusual situation (well, they have gone down just a little bit, like $20-$50 on $1000+; but prior to the lockdown, I see prices $100-$200 cheaper).

So, the demand for high-end ukes is still there, maybe even a little higher than before; but the reason that they aren't moving as quickly is because the supply shortage is no longer there. So the price has to come down to pre-shortage level.

However, I've stopped follow uke prices this year. I'm glad to have found a uke that works for me. I'm not of this UAS rat race :)

An interesting question. While I don't think I have the data to say for sure, I can help expand on your observation about Mim.

Back when lockdown started in the Spring of 2020, it was noticed that Mim was selling out early each week. That spawned this thread: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?145238-Lockdown-Entertainment&highlight=lockdown+entertainment and I started keeping track. At first I had things to the hour (because she was posting that info) but later I pretty much just started rounding to the nearest half-day. I have been updating my observations in that thread ever since, and we are closing in on a full year. I also started to keep track of it in a Google Docs spreadsheet, so if you want to see it in plot form, you can find that here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UeZUbYkDMX7JiKSsnakQ5UkJ3crQNB0f6p_ZDg0nxcI/edit?usp=sharing

In that time, Mim has only *not* hit her cap for the week 4 times. (She has taken 3 weeks off, which is what the "empty" weeks are on the graph.) What can we reasonably learn from this data?

Well, Mim is a one-person operation and has decided to not take on more orders than she can get done in a week. This is a very healthy idea, and kudos to her for setting limits. But we don't really know what those limits are, exactly, and it is possible that they fluctuate as other parts of her life may place demand on her time. I do know that she raised her cap around the holiday season (because she announced that on her site.)

What we can say, with some pretty solid certainty, is that demand has been consistently strong over the past year and shows no sign of slowing down at this time. (I think we can also say that Mim is one hard working woman and I think she should take on an apprentice. If I still lived in VA, I would consider quitting my job and beg the master craftswoman to take me on, but that is just my own personal daydream...)

This is just one retailer, but it looks like demand is strong.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Certainly explains why I never seem to be able to buy from her when casually looking over the weekend for a new uke.

But first timers can be converted into high-end buyers within weeks if they like the ukulele and join this forum :)

Here's what I think will happen. Not too many new, first-timers will be getting ukes because they are ready to go out and have fun. The lockdown is almost over; I think there's serious talks that (in the US) by May, everybody who wants a vaccine will be able to get one.

This forum can definitely convert people into high end buyers. :D

It's likely that if a uke hasn't landed on someone's radar after a year of restrictions/quarantines, it won't now. But, OTOH, if you're ready to go out and have fun, a uke could certainly be a part of that.

I hope that you're correct that the "lockdown" is almost over, (not really locked down, but restrictions in place, anyway), but in my area, it's looking like an increase in cases is starting again. The mutations of the virus, along with current vaccine shortages, those who don't want a vaccination, and some behavior of throwing caution to the wind, may all be contributing to that.

But hopefully, people will soon be able to get out more, and some of those might be heading to their music stores to find a ukulele to enjoy, too.
They might be joining uke groups, going to open mikes or festivals, and finding ways to take part in music outside the home. The high end ukes for many people might have to wait until the economic impacts of the pandemic are behind us, though.

I talked to my bass teacher at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica this past week (in business since 1948 and has been one of the most important showcases for performers since then). He's one of the principles in the store and said that they've been very busy during covid and Tuesday was one of the biggest sales days they've had, over $10,000, which includes ukuleles and all other instruments.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
This forum can definitely convert people into high end buyers. :D

It's likely that if a uke hasn't landed on someone's radar after a year of restrictions/quarantines, it won't now. But, OTOH, if you're ready to go out and have fun, a uke could certainly be a part of that.

I hope that you're correct that the "lockdown" is almost over, (not really locked down, but restrictions in place, anyway), but in my area, it's looking like an increase in cases is starting again. The mutations of the virus, along with current vaccine shortages, those who don't want a vaccination, and some behavior of throwing caution to the wind, may all be contributing to that.

But hopefully, people will soon be able to get out more, and some of those might be heading to their music stores to find a ukulele to enjoy, too.
They might be joining uke groups, going to open mikes or festivals, and finding ways to take part in music outside the home. The high end ukes for many people might have to wait until the economic impacts of the pandemic are behind us, though.

All I know is that i am very happy I purchased my new Martin 5K Soprano in January of 2020. They are hard to find!!

All I know is that i am very happy I purchased my new Martin 5K Soprano in January of 2020. They are hard to find!!

So you got to enjoy it throughout the stay-at-home orders and other restrictions of the pandemic. Sounds like you bought it at the perfect time! Hope that you're enjoying it.

So you got to enjoy it throughout the stay-at-home orders and other restrictions of the pandemic. Sounds like you bought it at the perfect time! Hope that you're enjoying it.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I am enjoying playing it and I now understand why the Martin 5K is considered the “Holy Grail” of the Uke world.

At my shop (The Uke Room - UK) our sales are up but similar to what has been mentioned in the thread earlier we’ve been selling a lot of mid-range ukes in the 300 - 500 range. I guess it’s partly due to availability but I also think many people like to try the higher end stuff in store before buying and they haven’t been able to. People are more comfortable taking a chance online on a less expensive uke.

Last edited:
I have a feeling trying the uke "just for fun" and to pass the time during COVID is an increasing trend, particularly for the low-mid range instruments as has been stated. I just sold my first entry level uke to another woman about my age who said she just mastered skipping (accompanied by a crossover motion of her arms) and was on to the next thing to pass the hours. It made me laugh, but I see many ukes being snatched up on Kijiji quite quickly for what it's worth.

At my shop (The Uke Room - UK) our sales are up but similar to what has been mentioned in the thread earlier we’ve been selling a lot of mid-range ukes in the 300 - 500 range. I guess it’s partly due to availability but I also think many people like to try the higher end stuff in store before buying and they haven’t been able to. People are more comfortable taking a chance online on a less expensive uke.

I've noticed the same thing. Lots of mid-range ukes around the $500 mark are going really fast. Almost impossible to find certain mid-range models, and brands like Pono and Rebel seem to be selling fairly well. The high-end ukes at that $1000 mark typically take a bit more time to sell anyway unless it's some particularly sought after model.

I've gotten better over the last year but don't want an upgrade until I'm MUCH better. Besides I really want be able to play it before I buy it. The neck size is really important to me.

Top Bottom