SOTU 476 "All You Need is Love" or.....

Cheers for hosting this one Berni. A bit of a self Indulgent one here by Cream ........

One of my favourites from this period is Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant Massacree. At 18 minutes, I'm not about to try that one, and the story would sound daft in my English accent anyway. So here's another one of my favourites from the same album, which Arlo Guthrie explained was written the morning after an LSD trip:

I couldn't resist doing at least a little bit of Alice's Restaurant too. So technically that's about 1 and 1/18th of a song today. I hope you'll forgive me for that Berni! After all, as Arlo tells us, if you want to end wars and stuff, you gotta sing loud...

This song is the first one I think of when someone mentions hippie music. Plus it gives me an excuse to go a bit crazy with the Soundwave effects and video software

Hello again, Berni! In researching songs for the week, I was quite excited to find that a British psychedelic group called Tintern Abbey had recorded a song in 1967 called, "Vacuum Cleaner" - the reason being that we have just had to buy a new one. It arrived on Saturday ... and here it is on Tuesday evening; I really LOVE housework!!!

20210330_194057.jpg

Well, anyway ... unfortunately I couldn't find any chords! HOWEVER, I suddenly remembered this one by The Young Rascals, which, to me, completely captures the spirit of that heady period in the late Sixties. (I added a backing of tenor uke and wind chimes and dug out my pseudo-hippie hat to make it a bit more trippy.)

Last edited:
SOTU 476 - "Groovin' (On A Sunday Afternoon) - Young Rascals (1967). Wow, two seasons in a row I've been beaten to the punch on a song! Hopefully Val won't mind. Thanks a BUNCH to Liz for helping me out. This has to be one of my all time favorite songs, sung to perfection by the GREAT Felix Cavaliere. BTW, for you who don't know, the Rascals are in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Check them out!

So here’s a song celebrating love - a fabulous original by Lynda, given the Yazuke treatment. It’s more uptempo than most of our stuff, and listen out for the key change!
Cheers for hosting Berni!

Hello again, Berni! In researching songs for the week, I was quite excited to find that a British psychedelic group called Tintern Abbey had recorded a song in 1967 called, "Vacuum Cleaner"

There's an odd coincidence, I've just heard this on the radio. I can recommend listening to the kind of radio station that'll happily play songs like Vacuum Cleaner by Tintern Abbey on your typical weekday evening.

SERIOUSLY???? I am impressed!!! (I still don't know the chords, though!)

Indeed! Marc Riley on 6 Music is rerunning a series on the A-Z of Psych. They'd got as far as T tonight. Doesn't help you find the chords, alas...

Hi Berni! Thank you for hosting this week. Here is one from 1967 by The Youngbloods, written by Chet Powers(Dino Valenti) in the mid-60s

Get Together

Last edited:
Don't Bogart. . . learned from "Fraternity Of Man" on the Easy Riders soundtrack. This one's from 1969, a year late Berni, but it catches the true hippy spirit.

I figured I'd go back and show you that, although I don't own any tie dye shirts of pants like John Sebastian used to wear, I did get into the spirit and put on my tie dye socks.
Tie Dye socks.jpg

Last edited:
"All You Need is Love", for tenor ukulele with whistling and singing, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass, concert banjolele, and secondary vocals.

Happy Birthday Berni!

SOTU 476 - "Get Together" - This is getting to be a trend! I guess I need to dig deeper in my song choices! Cool to see that Liz Brinker has contributed this song too. It was written by Chet Powers (aka Dino Valenti) and recorded by the Youngbloods in 1967 - it could arguably be the song of a generation. Thanks to Kevin for singing with me and adding resonator uke.

Born to Be Wild, from 1968, by Steppenwolf. I always think of this one as emblematic of the late 60s: being on the road, freedom, nature, hippies being hippies! Interestingly, some have noted this song as the first musical reference to heavy metal with "heavy metal thunder" in the lyrics. However, my Flea uke seems pretty far from that. ;)

Last edited:
Hey, Berni!

Thanks for hosting and a very happy birthday to you!
It seemed only right with you hosting to take a leaf out of your book and try to write an original for the season.
So here you go! At least it's pretty short...

Hope you celebrate in style! x

When I found my chord sheets and my first attempts at recording this song, I discovered that is was a year ago that I first started looking into it.

Written in 1967 and the album released in 1968, it should fit the bill!

Working on learning more multi track editing.
Originally I wanted to make one of those edited videos with more instances of myself in it, but I decided against it after remembering how the video turned out last time.

I taught elementary school for a few decades and a couple of the younger teachers and I got together and played some music after school. On the last day of my last day of teaching, in June of 2001, we put on a show for the kids in the gym. Most of our repertoire was songs that I had just been introduced to by the other two guys, Ian and Jim - Bands that I never listened to, like Green Day and Blink 182, so I insisted that they learn at least 3 songs that were written before they were born.
Two of the songs I suggested and they agreed to have already been done in this thread - Sunshine Of Your Love and Born To Be Wild. We also did a generic blues. This is one of the few electric gigs I have done. I still own the Tele, but it comes out about twice a year at the most.
Jim Noble, the drummer, showed up with "Jack & The Jims" on his bass drum, so that became our name. We played our last time at my retirement party in my local pub that weekend.
Here's the only photo I have of that band. Ian Jack, the lead singer, who is the same age as my kids, didn't make it into the photo.
Jack & The Jims.jpg

Ian is on the right of this photo about 20 years ago. My son Clay is playing the Tele.
clay.jpg

My apologies for the thread drift.

Last edited:
Top Bottom