SOTU 476 "All You Need is Love" or.....

you suggested as one option - 'or else reflect on how it was targeted for destruction by a worried straight society' - that's what i did with my first song berni

Totally agree... But sometimes it's hard to stick to the principle of freedom of speech for all.... I personally would deny a platform to those who would deny others one (eg: VOX Spain's openly Fascist party who have experienced a dramatic rise in their seats in the last two years.)

An opinion Is an opinion whether we like It or not. I'd rather these people have an opinion on a political stage where they can be scrutinised and vilified than become an underground dangerous movement where they've been silenced (History has shown us that always ends badly) Unfortunately we will never get everyone to agree with our opinion or our way of thinking and nor should we expect them to, that would make us self righteous. I find some of what's going on in the UK at the moment deeply damaging and offensive and hate It with a passion but I concede that they have as much right to their beliefs as I do mine. I get where It sticks in your throat though mate.

Last edited:
you suggested as one option - 'or else reflect on how it was targeted for destruction by a worried straight society' - that's what i did with my first song berni

Oh, I mistook your narrator for you... a classic error which I normally try to avoid. Sorry. So that is only your narrator's viewpoint, not yours, then?

. I'd rather these people have an opinion on a political stage where they can be scrutinised and vilified than become an underground dangerous movement where they've been silenced (History has shown us that always ends badly)

Actually, my experience of watching this party go from a fringe affair to a significant force in parliament is just the opposite of this. It has been VOX expressing publicly ideas that are built on hate and fear (and which many people are usually afraid to express publicly, for fear of social ostracization) which has led to their rising popularity. They are not being vilified, but rather seen as heroes by those who feel threatened by a compassionate and tolerant society (homophobes, men's rights groups, religious bigots, Spanish Nationalists, etc). We cannot fight racism, sexism, macho attitudes, homophobia, etc, by giving such anathema a platform to grow.

These Fascists are using social media to spread their poison. They send round memes and other circulars anonymously written in general terms that mean many people could find something in them to agree with: There are too many politicians. Politicians are out for themselves. Politicians are corrupt... Spaniards should receive welfare before immigrants (peddling myths about the Welfare state which time and again have been debunked, but which the average Jose and Maria still cling to as fact) etc, etc). Then they follow that up with VOX are the only party who would stomp that out! Of course they neglect to mention that they would do this by having a tight knit dictatorship that would only benefit those who share their dream of division and hate and total control of every aspect of society - as existed here under Franco for 40 years.

Thanks for a great week, Berni! Lots of good stuff here!
Could I just be the pedant I’m always fighting not to be and point out that ‘my’ Amen Corner cover was actually a collab with Liz, who elevated it way beyond what it would otherwise have been. Thanks matey! :)

Thanks for a great week, Berni! Lots of good stuff here!
Could I just be the pedant I’m always fighting not to be and point out that ‘my’ Amen Corner cover was actually a collab with Liz, who elevated it way beyond what it would otherwise have been. Thanks matey! :)

Corrected. Thanks for reminding me.

Top Bottom