SOTU 476 "All You Need is Love" or.....

Happy belated ya old hippy x
Here's some Doors for ya .........

I joined the seasons at season 76 so 400 seasons on I thought I'd do a re-visit to a song I covered when the seasons were in double figures........

While everyone was listening to Sgt.Pepper, Satanic Majesties, and the other big sellers of '67, another band were in Abbey Road recording their own masterpiece. They even used the same 4-track tape machine as The Beatles. Unfortunately, when it was finally released in April '68, it pretty well vanished without a trace, as The Zombies had split up several months earlier. It was only many years later, when it started to get mentioned in lists of classic albums of the era, that it started to sell. Cue several Zombies reunions, and tours performing the whole of "Odyssey & Oracle". This was the only hit single from the album, reaching the USA top 10 in 1969, but never charting in the UK.

Stop! Children, What's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down.

Well, on the night of the 31st, that sound was automatic weaponry not too far from my home. JUst a single burst, probably just to scare the unarmed protesters and their illegal candlelight vigil.

I call this one "Extended" because it include commentary.

Given the title of the theme, it seems a shame not to do a Beatles number. Here's one from the White Album - a song which is more of a McCartney solo effort to be honest. Written, so I read, during the Beatles' visit to India to learn transcendental meditation. It's a pleasant little song, I think:

This is on a tenor uke, with a bit of baritone, and some sound effect assistance from Apple's loops.

Last edited:
My fourth entry today so I'll keep this one short to save your ears from Myth overload ........

"Let It Be" is in the list of hippie songs and it was written in 1968 (although released in 1970). Ukulele arrangement by R.J. Putter.

Hello, yet again, Berni! I think this will be my last effort for the week ... thanks so much for the opportunity to indulge in psychedelia and extraneous sound effects! This song is from 1967, and, to me, epitomises Flower Power ... (WARNING: If you are listening through earphones, there is a clap of thunder at the beginning ... as on the original recording.)

Last edited:
Everybody everywhere, stop snogging and pay attention to me!
'Cos if you're a wild-eyed loner at the gates of oblivion,
then hitch a ride with us, 'cos we're riding on the last freedom moped
out of nowhere and we haven't even told our parents what time we're
coming home! So put on your dancing trousers and get down to
the total and utter king of rock and roll, Cliff Richard!

Time for the host to add to the fun.

Here is a song I wrote in response to a challenge during FAWM week. A correct response to the challenge leaves a hidden message. See if you can spot it in the lyrics.

Meanwhile, the song sums up this aging hippy's philosophy perfectly. :D

I’ve written before about the huge responsibility we feel when covering our favourite music, and for me this one was especially daunting. It’s my favourite song of all time - a beautiful love song that moves me every time I hear it. It was originally written in Italian in 1968, then translated to English the following year for Amen Corner and spent several weeks at number one in the UK chart.
I laid the foundations with the vocal, uke and some synth bass, strings and percussion, and then asked Liz to add some of her exquisite trademark vocal harmonies and uke to the mix. What she did with it is absolutely stunning, and it fits the song soooo perfectly. Thank you sooo very much Liz! :)

I'm making the same disclaimer as Kolibri for a different track off that same album - it was written in 1968, recorded in 69, released in 70. Plus it's a pastiche - which is halfway to being an original. Of someone. This video is "unlisted", meaning it doesn't show up on my YouTube page. The junta has enough on its plate - but who knows.
The Myanmar Ukulele Lovers Group, which I am an observing member, made themselves known worldwide when their presence at the early demonstrations drew the attention of the world media.
I don't know. The whole coverage was a bit patronizing. "Oh look, they're standing up to the coup AND they play ukulele. How cute!"

As

Top Bottom