Easy taropatch conversion possible?

merlin666

Reaction score
I am intrigued by taropatch ukes i.e. concert size with four pairs of strings in unison. But they are hard to find and I think that Ohana is the last larger brand that produces the occasional batch. Now I wonder if it would be possible to convert a regular concert uke with a tie bar bridge and wide nut to taropatch by simply replacing the nut with one that has eight slots. Then use a double length string set such as Worth pull it through a tuner and tie the other end to the bridge. So effectively the unison strings are just one string that share a tuner. But will this "pair" also tune up in unison as the length from tuner post to saddle will be slightly different? In theory it would be handy to tune a unison pair of strings like that but I have my doubts. What are your thoughts?

I don't think that would be easy. You would be better converting it to a string through bridge with a tiny drill bit. Eight holes would be possible.

I actually have a uke I thought about doing this to. I will have a go and report back.

Sorry but the strings would be just about impossible to tune in unison this way. The slightest inconsistency in the initial tie up and unevenness in wind would cause different tension in the strings.
Feel free to make a list of me but I can't see it working.

The elephant in the room here is that regular concert ukuleles are built to handle the tension of four strings and taro patch are built for eight with heavier bracing etc. You would need to find one that is built like a tank, or watch it slowly tear I self apart.
Brad

I agree with Titchtheclown. There is zero chance of this working on SOO many levels. You will never get the tension even, there will be too much string wrap on the posts, the instrument will be under built for the extra tension. If I thought about it some more I'm sure there would be more problems.

EDIT: and actually I'm not even sure exactly what your technique will be to be honest. It doesn't quite make sense to me.

Last edited:
That concept might actually work IF you had a special kind of pin behind the bridge. I'm thinking of a roller pin that would constantly equalize the tension on "both strings." it would look like two strings, but in reality would only be one string turned back on itself around the roller pin. As you increased the tension by turning the tuning peg, there would be tiny adjustments to lengths of the "strings" as they pulled around the roller pin, and the tension in the "strings" would always remain the same. In fact, I think it might be best to only have one end attached to the tuning peg, and the other end tied off somewhere above the nut.

Last edited:
Top Bottom