Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to sell quality ukes at auction

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJay View Post
    Hi Patrick, Thanks for your sugestions. I spoke with UF and also Ukulelesite, and what they wanted to sell the pieces were both somewhat astounding... between 15-25% - even if I sold it through them in an auction process. They believe they add significant value to the process. I'm sure they do add, but I am not sure its worth 25% of the sales price!
    This is standard. Respected, established guitar and banjo stores that sell or auction instruments on behalf of costumers typically also take between 25% and 30%. You'll get more if you sell the ukulele through them than you will if you sell it on your own. The Ukulele Site/HMS is highly respected and trusted, and they have a good reach when it comes to potential buyers of top level ukuleles. It also offers better protection and much less hassle for you (scammers, payment issues, people who pull out, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJay View Post
    Thanks Bill. Will check it and may post here as well, but like I said, I do not know the current value of these so hard for me to know whether an offer is fair. But I will try it.
    You will find it helpful to head on over to the marketplace and "browse" all of the current and past FS (for sale) ukes. There have been a number of MBettahs sold over the past 24 months...with photos... and you can see how yours compares. Try to calculate a shipping price, too. If you have a hard case, with a solid box and good packing materials, you're probably in the 8 pound weight, with a box size of 8x12x26... (point is, that will cost you around 40-50 dollars in shipping) Shipping was a big issue for some of my prices on the mid/lower range ukes I sold. On the better ukes it will help you establish how much wiggle room if if you find yourself negotiating a price.

Basically though, use the Marketplace to help you find comparables and use your judgement. If you don't get nibbles, try lowering :-) the opposite of an auction. Anyhow when at an auction, you still have to come up with the lowest price you're willing to sell for. Not much different here. Good luck.
    KoAloha KSM-10 Pikake ::: Kanile'a Islander MAPG-4-C ::: Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert ::: Kala KA-SSTU-S ::: Fender Montecito Tenor Koa ::: KoAloha Silver Anniversary KCM-00 #060 ::: Antica Ukuleleria Concert Libero ::: Pono TE-MD-R

eBay would not be my first choice. You could contact HMS and ask if they would be interested. They've done auctions before. Of course, they would take a percentage (I assume). Auctions are risky. I would go for a direct sale.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Listing them here is a solid idea.
    Beeru Onegashimasu.
    Little ukes, Bigger ukes, Big ukes
    Stupid looking Hat
    Sunglasses and Sandles

There is no set market price for top end ukes, especially custom made whereby two of the same size ones can vary significantly in price even if built in the same year.

Starting consideration would be what you paid for it. If you got your purchase price back, would you be happy having been able to enjoy that uke for the time you owned it. That means you played it for "free" and had pride of ownership. Or would you be unhappy because you might have left some money on the table if you believe it has increased in value. Or like most ukes for sale, how much less than what you paid should you sell it for? Is it like new because you treated it with kid gloves, aghast at the thought of an invisible scratch from playing it? Or does it show love marks from enjoying playing such a fine instrument?

And do you need the money? That usually is not the case if you have a Moore Bettah and a Ko'olau to sell.

Finally, do you care who buys it? This UU forum has been a great place to sell to an appreciative audience. Good luck with figuring this out.

Thread Information