Hand stretching exercises before playing?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Do any/many of you use any hand stretching exercises before playing? Any suggestions for what to do?

I just tried these on a tabletop. {giggles!} I did it with both hands... on the first try, my strum hand did better!

This brings up the question of where to place the thumb. For me, using the pad of the thumb on the upper back of the neck gives the best control and less fatigue. It lets my fingers move freely. I avoid a wrap-around grip which causes me to squeeze harder and hurts my wrist.

Does anyone use another method?

-Wiggy

Last edited:
Im actually going to PT right now for my left wrist and hand. I've learned some great exercises which are very helpful for me. I play a lot of uke and guitar and each time I sit down I start
with 15 minutes of scales and exercises. This helps the rest of my practice flow much better and warms up the muscles. I also stretch when I'm done playing and randomly throughout the day

Sarah Maisel has some warmup movement and stretching exercises that she has demonstrated before or during some of the Chee/Maisel sessions or livestreams. Apparently she has had some arthritis/joint issues. These are routines for using before you pick up the uke.

If interested and unable to locate, I would just contact her directly through their website.

I use pianist's stretches. One is like the spider walking on a mirror, the other one just separates the fingers from one another. I teach them to all my beginners.
But I'm going to try Rob and Craig's too!

Last edited:
Maybe it was coincidence, but I gave a little bit of stretching a try today before playing, and it sure seemed to help. I'm going to have to spend more time looking into this, and keep at it. :)

I use tendon gliding exercises, particularly when I'm playing the uke.

Attachments

• Relaxed-fingers-and-finger-tendon-gliding-positions-A-Relaxed-B-straight-C-hook.jpg
    Relaxed-fingers-and-finger-tendon-gliding-positions-A-Relaxed-B-straight-C-hook.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom