Ruined Nut trying to fix intonation

sgriffith

Reaction score
I finished my first Stewmac kit build and the Uke played sharp when strings depressed. I had the strings pretty high on the nut, but got a little too aggressive while filing the C string fret notch. Now I have buzz when I depress and everything is still sharp. How do you remove a nut attached with Titebond III? Also, are there any other changes I can make to correct this since I will have the nut off anyway?
I ordered a new bone nut to recut and setup.

I have read numerous times that you can use superglue with baking soda to rebuild the slot.

Thanks for the information. I ordered some Nut Repair stuff from Stewmac, a couple nut blanks just in case. Off to a grand start. I plan on a full build next.

I am confused by your statement of the problem. You say you get a buzz when you depress. The nut shouldn't affect this. A low string slot in the nut should only cause a buzz on an open string.

I am confused by your statement of the problem. You say you get a buzz when you depress. The nut shouldn't affect this. A low string slot in the nut should only cause a buzz on an open string.

Maybe a high fret. I leveled them. The first three or four where very flat, after leveling, before I started, rounding them. I rechecked and it buzzes open as well. It still buzzes when pressed as well. Should it not?

Sound like you have a couple different things going on, try to isolate where the buzz is coming from. A buzz on a depressed string sounds like the string is touching or vibrating against a fret further down the fretboard, a high fret or the saddle is not high enough to create the proper angle for the remainder of the string to clear the frets, or the saddle is not tight in the bridge allowing buzzing in saddle/bridge connection. You should be able to see a depressed string touching another fret if that is buzzing. If you are comfortable with your nut height above the first fret generally around 1mm, then the saddle should be adjusted so the string height at the 12th fret is about 2.5mm above the fret with the strings open. That give enough angle for strings above the fretboard the whole length. Also make sure your fretboard is flat and not bowed up or down. If you are getting buzzing on an open string it could be the nut slots or the saddle. If you hold your finger on a string on the back of the nut without touching the string where it breaks over the crest and that solves the issue, then it may be your fret slots are too high or too low on the back side to the nut. Try holding a finger on the back side of the saddle as well to help isolate the issue. Also make sure your strings wind down the tuner post to create more angle in the string between the nut and the tuner. Hopefully one of these will help isolate your issue, but try to find where the buzz is generated. If everything else seems right, try a different type of string.

Sound like you have a couple different things going on, try to isolate where the buzz is coming from. A buzz on a depressed string sounds like the string is touching or vibrating against a fret further down the fretboard, a high fret or the saddle is not high enough to create the proper angle for the remainder of the string to clear the frets, or the saddle is not tight in the bridge allowing buzzing in saddle/bridge connection. You should be able to see a depressed string touching another fret if that is buzzing. If you are comfortable with your nut height above the first fret generally around 1mm, then the saddle should be adjusted so the string height at the 12th fret is about 2.5mm above the fret with the strings open. That give enough angle for strings above the fretboard the whole length. Also make sure your fretboard is flat and not bowed up or down. If you are getting buzzing on an open string it could be the nut slots or the saddle. If you hold your finger on a string on the back of the nut without touching the string where it breaks over the crest and that solves the issue, then it may be your fret slots are too high or too low on the back side to the nut. Try holding a finger on the back side of the saddle as well to help isolate the issue. Also make sure your strings wind down the tuner post to create more angle in the string between the nut and the tuner. Hopefully one of these will help isolate your issue, but try to find where the buzz is generated. If everything else seems right, try a different type of string.

I thought I understood the mechanics of this. In real life it's quite difficult as a beginner. I'm going to make several more. I purchased some cheaper backs and sides, and some spruce, cedar and redwood tops. I plan on making several to build skills and understanding. Then one day I hope to make myself a couple really special Ukes. THANKS EVERYONE for your responses. Knowledge is power.

Top Bottom