Thread: Pono Truss Rod Wrench

Default Pono Truss Rod Wrench

Howdy folks,
    Does anyone know what size Allen/Hex wrench size I need for my Pono baritone? I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to turn it a little bit counter-clockwise to reduce a pervasive buzz on the 2nd fret area.
    Thank you,
    Neil_O
    Too chicken to install strap buttons...

You might seek some additional advice over in the Technical area. Last I heard, it is inadvisable to mess with a truss rod to correct buzz....especially if you can narrow the problem to one or two frets. You may "just" have a high second or third fret. Does it buzz on all strings, or one more than others?
    KoAloha KSM-10 Pikake ::: Kanile'a Islander MAPG-4-C ::: Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert ::: Kala KA-SSTU-S ::: Fender Montecito Tenor Koa ::: KoAloha Silver Anniversary KCM-00 #060 ::: Antica Ukuleleria Concert Libero ::: Pono TE-MD-R

You may need to get the frets leveled. A truss rod is used to adjust neck relief in the middle of the neck, i.e., around the 7th fret, and doesn't make much difference on the first few frets.

Thanks for the advice! My reason for wanting to try to adjust the truss rod is that the seller told we they had moved the neck (anti-relief) shortly before they sent it to me. I plan to try a slimmer set of stings (Worth Browns replacing classical strings) before I do anything hasty. I certainly am not a serial truss-rod adjuster by nature on any of my guitars. In fact I have never adjusted one. I have checked it out more and think the second fret on one string is the culprit. Before I attack that fret, I'd like to move the neck a MM.

Anyway, bump for the size wrench I should use. Please help if you have a Pono! The manufacturer has not returned my calls or emails.

Maybe email HMS, as Andrew K there runs the Pono business, and would probably have your answer.
    John

I got this response from my email question: "Aloha Neil, 5/32” or 4mm".

Thanks all.

I was going to measure my Pono tenor wrenches. They don't have a size marked on them. If those sizes don't work, I'll measure mine for you.

I've only had to adjust a neck once. My 2 years ago, Pono Mango tenor suddenly started to buzz when I strummed it. I checked all of the usual suspects frets, strings, tuners, nut, saddle, etc. I found that the neck/fretboard was suddenly absolutely flat. I adjusted the bow and it has played perfectly ever since.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 04-15-2021 at 05:33 PM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information