your 1st song

Probably I's The B'y in F. 2 chords - F and C7

I like to show folks the C, Am, F, G7 progression,
-starting with the ring finger C (0003),
-then the bird finger Am (2000),
-then, leaving the bird finger on the 2nd fret, drop the index finger onto the 1st fret of the 2nd string making the F (2010),
-then, leaving the index on the 2nd string, move the bird and ring fingers to make the G7 (0212),
-then remove the index and bird fingers and slide the ring up a fret to repeat the sequence.

I know this is a long, overly detailed way of describing what is very simple to most uke players, but doing it this way makes it very simple for absolute beginners.

Ricky Nelson's Poor Little Fool can be sung with four beats to each chord.
Songs like Twenty-six Miles Across The Sea or Blue Moon use two beats per chord.
Google "I, vi, IV, V songs" for more songs that can be sung with these changes.

Last edited:
The first song I played was "Lime in the Coconut".

It really only has one chord, C7, but I wanted to focus on learning a few strumming patterns and chucking technique before learning more chords.

I was just shy of 55 and as soon as I was able to strum and sing Clementine, I ran into the bedroom where my hubby was snoozing and sang it to him, bedside. He was amazed. Not kidding, he was amazed and thought it was great. :nana:

Probably 'Ain't She Sweet' or 'Five Foot Two'. Long time ago though so memory may be faulty!

A NOFX song called "Eat the Meek"

My first song was "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR. Most CCR songs only have a few chords and were good for starting out.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" yet ;-)
Mine was one of my favourites, Harry Belafonte's "Jamaica Farewell."

It was Christmas eve, so.. carols.

Played guitar for 50+ years before I tried ukulele. My first uke was a Kala concert and my first song was Something by George Harrison. I knew the chords and practiced on the guitar with the capo on the 5th fret and playing uke chords on the first 4 strings.

At the beginners' table at my ukulele club, using one of the club's loaner ukes, "Frere Jacques" using only a C chord. Then "Singing in the Rain" using an F and C7 chord.

I sat at the beginners' table for two meetings and I was hooked. So I bought my first uke, a tenor Fender Nohea koa laminate from Amazon. It was six months before I learned about setups and different strings.

Picking Can't Help Falling in Love With You. My first classes started with tabs and picking.
Couldn't for the life of me figure out island strum well until If I Should Fall Behind (Linda Ronstadt version). 3 chords and you don't even need to move your hand. You can just focus on letting the strum flow.

when i first got my uke, i had to try my favorite song "Dig a Tunnel"... searched the internet like crazy and got a tutorial.. and after hours of failed attempt, finally made it.. made me the happiest person.. :p

I alternated between trying to learn "This Land Is Your Land" and "Blue Skies".

(Now I alternate trying to learn songs in four binders.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom