NUD and string questions (no April Fools)

BermudaBill

Reaction score
I received my first high-end ($1000+) ukulele on Tuesday, as I received a Kanile'a K-1 Premium Tenor ukulele. It's sure a beauty, and I'm still a beginner, really not worthy, but I like it.

Question: Any of you with the Kanile'a K- Tenors, what strings do you recommend? I hear a lot of good about Worth, but am interested in hearing from someone with a Kanile'a tenor.

Pictures are the best I could do by myself, enjoy!

BermudaBill

Image-4.jpg

Image-3.jpg

Image-2.jpg

Image-1.jpg

Image.jpg

I received my first high-end ($1000+) ukulele on Tuesday, as I received a Kanile'a K-1 Premium Tenor ukulele. It's sure a beauty, and I'm still a beginner, really not worthy, but I like it.

Question: Any of you with the Kanile'a K- Tenors, what strings do you recommend? I hear a lot of good about Worth, but am interested in hearing from someone with a Kanile'a tenor.

Pictures are the best I could do by myself, enjoy!

BermudaBill

View attachment 133275

View attachment 133274

View attachment 133276

View attachment 133277

View attachment 133278

Congrats on your new uke. The Kanile'a are set up with strings to sound fantastic from the factory. If you don't like that sound then you need to be very specific on where improvement is needed so the right remedy can be found. Otherwise chances are that you ruin a good thing.

Kanilea comes stock with Aquila Nylgut strings. These are fine for many strum-and-hum players. The main reason to switch is if you want something with higher tension or faster response for fingerstyle playing.

Congratulations! That sure is a beauty.

There's a fairly extensive thread on strings on Kanile'as here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?131585-Kanilea-String-Discussion-Best-Sound

I had a bit of trouble finding suitable strings for my Kanile'a concert when I first got it. I actually really enjoyed the sound of clear nylons on it but at least on my concert they lacked a bit of volume. They would probably suit a tenor scale uke better as it would already have some more volume by default. I've seen plenty of professionals use nylon strings on their Kanile'a tenors so I would definitely try something like D'Addario clear nylons. As far as string sets go, they're on the cheaper side as well. As for myself. I eventually went with the thickest fluorocarbon strings I could find which in my case was Martin M600s. Worth Clears and Browns definitely suit Kanile'as as well depending a bit on what kind of sound you prefer. The issue with fluorocarbons for me is that they sound a bit too bright and harsh when strummed hard but when played more softly they sound fantastic.

I've always been a bit perplexed why Kanile'a use Aquilas on their ukes. Granted, they sound surprisingly good on Kanile'as but I've never been a fan of the harsh feel and tension of them. Ultimately, I wouldn't put much emphasis on the fact that Kanile'a themselves use Aquilas. I've heard that they might be moving away from them and, in fact, I think the new Platinum model for this year already comes with different strings.

Thank you for responding. I requested a low-G string, as that is what I prefer, and the person who sold it to me advised on (and provided) using a wound low-G due to the fit. Thoughts on low-G string? I'm fine with the other strings and tune.

Thank you for responding. I requested a low-G string, as that is what I prefer, and the person who sold it to me advised on (and provided) using a wound low-G due to the fit. Thoughts on low-G string? I'm fine with the other strings and tune.

I played several Kanile'a with low G string in their factory and was very impressed by their own branded low G string. It is wound but not with silver so may last longer than those. That would be my choice if I was so lucky to have a Kanile'a. I think you can order them from the factory or HMS may carry them too.

@bermudabill,
Congrats on a fine ukulele!

You may find this of particular interest:

:)

~ S.

I put Living Water low g on my Kanile'a tenor. I'm really happy with them, I like the tone very much. I would also use Uke Logic soft tension, as I've been very happy with every uke I put them on so far too.

Two thoughts for your consideration. I have a K-2 long neck (tenor scaled) concert. Was initially thrilled at the beauty and whole "quality of a K-built" thingie... only to sense the tone was kind of flat and seemed dead (thud-like). As did you, I perused this forum and made a list of strings to try. I ended up with Worth Browns, but still felt there was something more. (Hard to describe). Then I tried two sets of Uke Logics -soft and high tension. The high tensions were a distinct improvement, but I didn't care for the feel. After two weeks tried the soft tensions with a Fremont Soloist wound low G and ... that's what's been on it for a year. Bought two more sets for 'backups!'

Second, I recently bought a Pono Tenor Electric Mango Deluxe LTE. Again, nada on the stock strings. (this electric is the chambered version ... looks solid body, but can still be played with volume as a acoustic, granted not loud, but nice sounding). A friend has been playing Fremont Blacks, which I purchased and wow, what a difference. Used the Fremont Soloist for the low G. and really pleased. So... stock strings, eh... In my experience.

Congrats on your new baby! I once played one that looked like yours, I thought it was pretty sweet.
You have more than enough suggestions for strings....

Kanilea comes stock with Aquila Nylgut strings. These are fine for many strum-and-hum players. The main reason to switch is if you want something with higher tension or faster response for fingerstyle playing.

This is a wrong generalization. Fluorocarbon strings can sound sweet when gently strummed, but when driven hard they often sound harsh and distorted. You can't hear that on recordings because you don't know how hard they are played. As for fingerpicking the thicker strings like Nylon are often preferred as they facilitate more precise play. I love my ukes with fluorocarbon strings for quietly learning new songs, and for easy strumming and noodling on the couch. But when I need to get heard such as in an acoustic performance or an acoustic jam and still sound good then I grab a uke with Nylgut strings. The Kanile'a is pro performance level uke and is strung with that kind of player as a target. So it really depends on the setting and what your fingers prefer. There sure are many choices.

Very nice looking Kanile'a

I'll throw another thought into the mix. If your Kanile'a is a newer model, it has the TruR truss-like bracing in it. Which gives, I think a slightly more balanced sound than the older tru braced ones with circular holes. Which is what I have. Mine is a little more bass heavy than the newer ones. So, the string suggestions may be a little off for your K1-T.

I have a set of Linear Low-G Living Waters fluorocarbons on one. And a set of Re-entrant High-g Worth Brown mediums on the other. The Worths seemed to be a little clearer on the one than when I had LWs on it.

I will eventually replace the Worths with Uke Logic low-tension Pinks. Something that brings out the midrange and highs over the dominating lows.

I'm not a big fan of wound strings. But of the ones I've played, the Fremont Soloist is very good.

Very nice, congrat's! I like Living Water high G on my Kanile'a concert, I have Living Water low G on my tenor Martin IZ. They have a great sound and soft feel.

I stuck with the Kanile'a-branded Aquila super nylguts on mine, because I like how they sound. I did switch to the wound G from the Kanile'a outlet store, though.

I'll throw another thought into the mix. If your Kanile'a is a newer model, it has the TruR truss-like bracing in it. Which gives, I think a slightly more balanced sound than the older tru braced ones with circular holes. Which is what I have. Mine is a little more bass heavy than the newer ones. So, the string suggestions may be a little off for your K1-T.
There could well be something to that idea. Mine's got the Tru-R bracing, and I really like how the super nylguts sound on it. I think the super nylguts they use now are somewhat different than the regular nylguts too. I know Joe makes a big deal out of working with Aquila to make these specific strings for Kanile'a ukes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom