Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Humidifier Questions, Recommendations and Logistics

Thank you vanflynn and ripock! Great suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by vanflynn View Post
    Minnesota person here who has the same problem. My general rule is I put in humidifier when I turn on the furnace. You can DYI with pill box / craft containers with small holes in it and water crystals https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-W...95095669&psc=1 (that is a lifetime supply)

If you are concerned then get a hydrometer. https://www.elderly.com/collections/...h-2-hygrometer
    Interesting idea. How well does it keep humidity up around 50% in the winter? Is it consistant? How often do you have to change them or put more water in?

Quote Originally Posted by jkib View Post
    Interesting idea. How well does it keep humidity up around 50% in the winter? Is it consistant? How often do you have to change them or put more water in?
    That’s why you get the hydrometer. Mileage may vary

FWIW, and not everyone will want to pop for these. But, I bought a pair of Cigar-Oasis Excel 3.0 Electronic Wi-Fi humidifier/hygrometers. I put one each in my cases for my more pricey ukes. I love the Excel 3.0. So far, 10 days and I have not yet had to refill them with water (and I am in a really dry environment). I like the fact it has wi-fi and a cool app. However, there is an additional subscription to use the wi-fi.

20210401_175124.jpg
    Kanile'a Steven Espaniola Signature Koa Custom Tenor
    Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor (Pepe is adding a side port!)
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric
    Ohana Mahogany Cynthia Lin Concert Performance uke
    Kanile'a KCS Super Soprano Premium Koa
    Brian Fanner Custom solid body/steel string tenor (Pixelator)

While you are researching, check out the Boveda (49%) packets. A close friend and classical guitar player uses them on his 6 & 12 strings. What's nice is they work "both ways" bringing humidity up and bringing it down. Sounds unlikely, but I've used them in three closed cases, each has a hygrometer and during dry Wisconsin winters and humid Augusts, all stayed withing a +- 4% of the 49%. ( PS- I also keep an Oasis-18 in each uke sound hole as the cases are a snug fit!)

https://bovedainc.com

I also use an Oasis-18 for inside the body. When the ukes are inside the caseOne other piece of wisdom.. my friend suggested "seasoning" a new case with a Boveda pack and Oasis before using it on a new uke. Presumption is that the padding will absorb some of the moisture right away. Who knows... ? Can't hurt!

When using the Oasis, check it frequently when you first start using it. You'll get an idea of how frequently it needs refilling. And DON'T let it go completely dry, i.e. collapsing on itself. The fabric will eventually crack and possibly leak. At the end of the dryness season I remove the cap and let the gel beads dry out. They last longer and don't damage the fabric while drying out.
    KoAloha KSM-10 Pikake ::: Kanile'a Islander MAPG-4-C ::: Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert ::: Kala KA-SSTU-S ::: Fender Montecito Tenor Koa ::: KoAloha Silver Anniversary KCM-00 #060 ::: Antica Ukuleleria Concert Libero ::: Pono TE-MD-R

I live in the arid western US. I have 23 stringed instruments hanging on the wall in my climate controlled music room. I have an airecare cool mist wicking filter humidifier that cycles on and off with its own humidistat. It holds about 1.5 gallons and I refill it about every two days. I have a smaller Vicks model that only holds about half a gallon. I have to refill it daily.

My hygrometers indicate the relative humidity stays around 45%.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobart View Post
    I live in the arid western US. I have 23 stringed instruments hanging on the wall in my climate controlled music room. I have an airecare cool mist wicking filter humidifier that cycles on and off with its own humidistat. It holds about 1.5 gallons and I refill it about every two days. I have a smaller Vicks model that only holds about half a gallon. I have to refill it daily.

My hygrometers indicate the relative humidity stays around 45%.
    I'm curious. What hygrometer do you use?
    Kanile'a Steven Espaniola Signature Koa Custom Tenor
    Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor (Pepe is adding a side port!)
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric
    Ohana Mahogany Cynthia Lin Concert Performance uke
    Kanile'a KCS Super Soprano Premium Koa
    Brian Fanner Custom solid body/steel string tenor (Pixelator)

Quote Originally Posted by Web_Parrot View Post
    While you are researching, check out the Boveda (49%) packets. A close friend and classical guitar player uses them on his 6 & 12 strings. What's nice is they work "both ways" bringing humidity up and bringing it down. Sounds unlikely, but I've used them in three closed cases, each has a hygrometer and during dry Wisconsin winters and humid Augusts, all stayed withing a +- 4% of the 49%. ( PS- I also keep an Oasis-18 in each uke sound hole as the cases are a snug fit!)

https://bovedainc.com

I also use an Oasis-18 for inside the body. When the ukes are inside the caseOne other piece of wisdom.. my friend suggested "seasoning" a new case with a Boveda pack and Oasis before using it on a new uke. Presumption is that the padding will absorb some of the moisture right away. Who knows... ? Can't hurt!

When using the Oasis, check it frequently when you first start using it. You'll get an idea of how frequently it needs refilling. And DON'T let it go completely dry, i.e. collapsing on itself. The fabric will eventually crack and possibly leak. At the end of the dryness season I remove the cap and let the gel beads dry out. They last longer and don't damage the fabric while drying out.
    Cool suggestions Web_Parrot!

Quote Originally Posted by mandobart View Post
    I live in the arid western US. I have 23 stringed instruments hanging on the wall in my climate controlled music room.
    This just sounds lovely, I have to say.

I use the Inkbird hygrometer. It's small and inexpensive so I can tuck one in each case. There is peace of mind knowing what the humidity levels are.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-ITH-1...566454&sr=8-16

This is one of the articles (authored by Andrew Kitakis of The Ukulele Site) that got me on the right path when it comes to humidity. You can drive yourself crazy over it, or get that hygrometer and follow Andrew's practical advice.

https://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/w...about-humidity

I keep my ukes in their cases, but they are close at hand.

We've got high humidity in summer and when those readings get too high for me, I use Bovida (as someone else suggested) and I use Oasis humidifiers as well as Bovida during our very dry winters.

Bluesy.

Thread Information