Tiny Tim: King for a Day

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
A new bio pic going to film fests. Sorry if this was already posted.

I just bought his bio Eternal Troubadour for my Kindle. Why are so many musician stories obsessed about liking younger females? Judge it for yourselves. But Howard Stern pissed him off.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I'll definitely be checking it out.

A very polarizing performer for uke players. He was fun and interesting. And totally unique. Most people over 40 remember "Tiptoe Through the Tulips."

I personally think he set ukulele instruments back 40 years. When I mention that I am learning to play ukulele, the most common thing I hear is: Why? Then they confess that's what they think of when ukuleles are mentioned. A tiny toy instrument played by a person singing with a quavery falsetto voice.

I used to think the same way. I know better now, and try to spread the word.

A very polarizing performer for uke players. He was fun and interesting. And totally unique. Most people over 40 remember "Tiptoe Through the Tulips."

I personally think he set ukulele instruments back 40 years. When I mention that I am learning to play ukulele, the most common thing I hear is: Why? Then they confess that's what they think of when ukuleles are mentioned. A tiny toy instrument played by a person singing with a quavery falsetto voice.

I had the pleasure of working with him for a few hours in the mid-80's, when he was touring with the circus and I was working in a small local recording studio in PA. He arrived straight from his performance, still dressed in his colorful costume. The duct tape repair on the edge of his ukulele was the first red flag for me, a certain indication that he had fallen into hard times.

I too had the preconceived opinion of who he was, based on my childhood recollection of his appearances on Laugh-In, until that day. He was extremely nice, a story teller, and loved people, but was also tragically tied to the persona that gave him fame/infamy, and little else. He seemed lost, and wounded, and didn't seem to understand the cruelty directed towards him.

Some of his stories, about how he was exploited by the entertainment industry were heart-breaking. He was also not well treated, and others made the money on his fame.

During his visit, he recorded a few demos - In The Shade of the Old Apple Tree, Mary-Lou, Am I Wasting My Time, and I think one more. What we learned was that he was a lover of old vaudeville and Tin Pan Alley songs, many of which were only available on old Edison cylinders and 78 shellac records (if at all), of which he had an extensive collection. His dream was to re-record all of these songs as a historical record, to preserve them for the ages. My boss was trying to determine if it was a good business decision to help produce the project.

Unfortunately, it never materialized, and Tiny Tim went on to record ridiculous, offensive and often humiliating projects (Heavy Metal? Santa Claus has the AIDS?), being poorly guided and exploited once again, as he tried to regain his so called fame.

I'm glad that I got to meet him, and talk to him. That is the Herbert Khaury I will choose to remember. The one who's love of music was his driving force, regardless of his true talent, and who died doing what he loved best.

Last edited:
Thank you, BiliBug, for sharing such a personal account.

God Bless Tiny Tim was one of the first albums that inspired in me a mimetic impulse, and I will be forever grateful to Herb Khaury for that. Massive respect to the man.

PeteyHoudini, thanks for posting this. i can't wait to see it. We do Tiptoe Through The Tulips onstage with regularity.

I had the pleasure of working with him for a few hours in the mid-80's, when he was touring with the circus and I was working in a small local recording studio in PA. He arrived straight from his performance, still dressed in his colorful costume. The duct tape repair on the edge of his ukulele was the first red flag for me, a certain indication that he had fallen into hard times.

I too had the preconceived opinion of who he was, based on my childhood recollection of his appearances on Laugh-In, until that day. He was extremely nice, a story teller, and loved people, but was also tragically tied to the persona that gave him fame/infamy, and little else. He seemed lost, and wounded, and didn't seem to understand the cruelty directed towards him.

Some of his stories, about how he was exploited by the entertainment industry were heart-breaking. He was also not well treated, and others made the money on his fame.

During his visit, he recorded a few demos - In The Shade of the Old Apple Tree, Mary-Lou, Am I Wasting My Time, and I think one more. What we learned was that he was a lover of old vaudeville and Tin Pan Alley songs, many of which were only available on old Edison cylinders and 78 shellac records (if at all), of which he had an extensive collection. His dream was to re-record all of these songs as a historical record, to preserve them for the ages. My boss was trying to determine if it was a good business decision to help produce the project.

Unfortunately, it never materialized, and Tiny Tim went on to record ridiculous, offensive and often humiliating projects (Heavy Metal? Santa Claus has the AIDS?), being poorly guided and exploited once again, as he tried to regain his so called fame.

I'm glad that I got to meet him, and talk to him. That is the Herbert Khaury I will choose to remember. The one who's love of music was his driving force, regardless of his true talent, and who died doing what he loved best.

Thanks for posting this story BilliBug.

I first saw TinyTim on a "Mod Squad" TV episode. Then he hit most of the talk shows. Merv Griffin didn't know what to make of him. Laugh In happened sometime in there.

I thought he was a lot of fun. I didn't take him seriously. But enjoyed his performances.

I have since learned that he was an excellent musician and as you said had a wealth of knowledge about TinPan Alley and early songs. His fall was hard and like may other niche act he shone brightly and burned out quickly. And tried to recapture their fame rather than accept their time had passed.

For me its George Formby. If I mention I play uke they act out like I'm George Formby... I don't mind, George was an amazing player

Top Bottom