Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound recording setup for non-professional usage

I've got a Fifine K678 USB Condenser microphone. So far so good, it's enough for practicing purpose. Since Condenser microphone is quite sensible to environment, there is some background noise. That's not an issue for practicing at all, and if needed I can reduce the noise using Audacity.
    This microphone is pretty entry level, I will experience it and gain more knowledge on sound devices.
    Last edited by wqking; 04-05-2021 at 03:34 AM.

What kind of background noise? Do you mean ambient sounds, like cars driving past and people talking near you?

Condenser mics with a cardioid pick up pattern generally only really pick up sound that's directly in front of the sensitive area and not much background noise at all.

Inexpensive USB condenser mics arent that sensitive either (which could be seen as an advantage since we are not recording in a soundproofed studio environment)

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    What kind of background noise? Do you mean ambient sounds, like cars driving past and people talking near you?

Condenser mics with a cardioid pick up pattern generally only really pick up sound that's directly in front of the sensitive area and not much background noise at all.

Inexpensive USB condenser mics arent that sensitive either (which could be seen as an advantage since we are not recording in a soundproofed studio environment)
    The ambient sound, mostly from my laptop fan. Maybe the microphone is too near to the computer. I will tweak it.

Unless the mic is very close to the fan (or if your fan is abnormally loud), it shouldnt really pick it up.

You may want to check whether it's actually the sound of your fan.. or some electronic interference to the signal.

Depending on the computer, some people experience dirty USB signals due to electrical interference coming from within the computer.

Unless the mic is very close to the fan (or if your fan is abnormally loud), it shouldnt really pick it up.

You may want to check whether it's actually the sound of your fan.. or some electronic interference to the signal.

Depending on the computer, some people experience dirty USB signals due to electrical interference coming from within the computer.
    Thanks for the advice. After reducing the Levels in Win10 settings, the noise is reduced a little bit.
    Previously I use PotPlayer to playback the recorded .wav files, seems PotPlayer amplifies both the volume and noise. Now I switch to foobar2000, it's better now.

I would recommend a program called Audacity. Free, but excellent for music recording once you get used to it.

Within Audacity, change your input to Mono rather than Stereo. It defaults to Stereo for some reason, but if you do that it will distort the sound since the mic is a mono input.

I would recommend a program called Audacity. Free, but excellent for music recording once you get used to it.

Within Audacity, change your input to Mono rather than Stereo. It defaults to Stereo for some reason, but if you do that it will distort the sound since the mic is a mono input.
    I have Audacity installed. Its recording function is a little inconvenient. I have to switch to Audacity, click on recording/stop, then export to sound file. That's too distracting during a practicing session.

I'm using a Win10 app called Screen Recorder Pro. Despite of its name, its sound recording function is quite good, and it's free. I can press a single hotkey to start/stop recording, even I'm in the PDF reader (to read the tablature). After it stops, it saves the sound file automatically. It can record .wav format with PCM lossless quality. I found it's so convenient to use so I can record every piece I practice. Seems it uses Windows recording function, and it's always 2 channels Stereo, I can't choose Mono. That's not a problem since I can always use Audacity to do Mono recording.
    I take back what I said about Screen Recorder Pro. It's too buggy to use. Its recording can't even keep the timing! It's horrible for sound recording, or completely unusable.
    DON'T waste time on it.
    I will focus on using Audacity, and I already found Audacity recording quality is pretty good.
    Last edited by wqking; 04-27-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wqking View Post
    I have Audacity installed. Its recording function is a little inconvenient. I have to switch to Audacity, click on recording/stop, then export to sound file. That's too distracting during a practicing session.
    I'm using a Win10 app called Screen Recorder Pro. Despite of its name, its sound recording function is quite good, and it's free. I can press a single hotkey to start/stop recording, even I'm in the PDF reader (to read the tablature). After it stops, it saves the sound file automatically. It can record .wav format with PCM lossless quality. I found it's so convenient to use so I can record every piece I practice. Seems it uses Windows recording function, and it's always 2 channels Stereo, I can't choose Mono. That's not a problem since I can always use Audacity to do Mono recording.
    I never had that problem with Audacity. It is perfectly capable of playing back what you just recorded, and you can also record one more track as you listen.

I think perhaps you need to correct Audacity's sound output device, which can be different from you PC default. If that is set to something wrong you can't hear it.

Audacity is perfectly good for recording, trimming, adjusting volume etc. If you want to work with clicktracks, compressors, EQ etc, I would recommend something more advanced.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 04-06-2021 at 06:03 AM.
    Playing:
    Anuenue AMM tenor - Magic Fluke Koa Tenor - Cocobolo concert - Kamaka Tiki concert - Cort concert - Ohana LN soprano.

I think the volume on my snowball is a little low...

Quote Originally Posted by aremick View Post
    I think the volume on my snowball is a little low...
    There are 3 patterns on the snowball (I always forget which number is which pattern, I wish Blue would print the pattern instead of number on the snowball). If you use the cardioid or figure-8 patterns, there are dead spots to the sides of the mic; this means if you are off-center, you'll sound faint.

Thread Information