Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar top baritone for fingerstyle?

Default Cedar top baritone for fingerstyle?

Looking for a little different sound for blues, folk and 50's rock /country. I have a solid acacia Kala and a solid hog Ohana. Looking to add a little different flavor. Thinking cedar top or ??. What do you like?

Thanks in advance - Jack (wishing I had a good uke shop close by).

Have a solid mahogany Pono with a solid Spruce top - extremely good fingerpicking uke!

My baritone is also a Pono, spruce top and rosewood sides/back. This instrument, but without the cutaway. I like the sparkle that spruce tops add to the tone, but cedar also has a beautiful tone. Much depends on the strings, too. Reds will make my baritone much brighter, and the Ko'olau strings it came with make it sound noticeably more mellow.

Either a cedar top or spruce top will give you a different tone from the ukuleles you already own. Especially if they are from a different builder. Usually spruce top will be a bit brighter then a cedar so it depends on your preference
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

if you're hankering for a different sound, I think you'd get more leverage by tuning down rather than focusing on the nuance that tone woods impart. I typically use BEG#C#.

Though I don't play it much these days, my cedar topped Kala bari has great tone, fitted with Living Waters strings.

I like the tone of mahogany, acacia, & spruce on my smaller solid wood ukes, especially my two tenor necked concerts (acacia & mahogany).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I recently got a Kala cedar top I really like. It's a model that is exclusive to the ukulele site, KA-ZTP-CTG-CE Cedar Ziricote Tenor Cutaway. An excellent deal at $289 with pick up

I never was interested in playing a baritone until I made the mistake of walking into Gryphon Strings 9 or 10 months ago. I picked up this Graziano, Yellow Alaskan Cedar top and fell in love. I couldn't get it out of my head so I went back a couple days later and got it. It's tone is beautiful and its easy to play.

here's a stock pic from Gryphon
    E086EEE9-BE1F-4EA7-95BC-9F47F9529A6B.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'Iwi Tenor
    Graziano Baritone
    Koaloha Concert
    Kamaka Pineapple

Combine it with a rosewood body and you are almost at classical guitar level, which of course is the best for picking

Thanks to all that have replied. I appreciate it. I have been thinking about a cedar/rosewood combo. So far found Mainland and Ohana. Not many sound samples or videos available online. The hunt continues. Would like to stay under $500.

Thread Information