Cedar top baritone for fingerstyle?

JackR

Reaction score
Looking for a little different sound for blues, folk and 50's rock /country. I have a solid acacia Kala and a solid hog Ohana. Looking to add a little different flavor. Thinking cedar top or ??. What do you like?

Thanks in advance - Jack (wishing I had a good uke shop close by).

Have a solid mahogany Pono with a solid Spruce top - extremely good fingerpicking uke!

My baritone is also a Pono, spruce top and rosewood sides/back. This instrument, but without the cutaway. I like the sparkle that spruce tops add to the tone, but cedar also has a beautiful tone. Much depends on the strings, too. Reds will make my baritone much brighter, and the Ko'olau strings it came with make it sound noticeably more mellow.

Either a cedar top or spruce top will give you a different tone from the ukuleles you already own. Especially if they are from a different builder. Usually spruce top will be a bit brighter then a cedar so it depends on your preference

if you're hankering for a different sound, I think you'd get more leverage by tuning down rather than focusing on the nuance that tone woods impart. I typically use BEG#C#.

Though I don't play it much these days, my cedar topped Kala bari has great tone, fitted with Living Waters strings.

I like the tone of mahogany, acacia, & spruce on my smaller solid wood ukes, especially my two tenor necked concerts (acacia & mahogany).

I recently got a Kala cedar top I really like. It's a model that is exclusive to the ukulele site, KA-ZTP-CTG-CE Cedar Ziricote Tenor Cutaway. An excellent deal at $289 with pick up

I never was interested in playing a baritone until I made the mistake of walking into Gryphon Strings 9 or 10 months ago. I picked up this Graziano, Yellow Alaskan Cedar top and fell in love. I couldn't get it out of my head so I went back a couple days later and got it. It's tone is beautiful and its easy to play.

here's a stock pic from Gryphon
E086EEE9-BE1F-4EA7-95BC-9F47F9529A6B.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2732.jpg
    IMG_2732.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 8
Thanks to all that have replied. I appreciate it. I have been thinking about a cedar/rosewood combo. So far found Mainland and Ohana. Not many sound samples or videos available online. The hunt continues. Would like to stay under $500.

I never was interested in playing a baritone until I made the mistake of walking into Gryphon Strings 9 or 10 months ago.

I acquired my ukulele in a similarly unexpected way, some years ago. I had no plans to get or play a baritone, but one day I chatted with Andreas David (of Gute Ukulele in Germany) and he said he had gotten in a Pono baritone that he had ordered for a customer who no longer wanted it (because it had no cut-away). He offered it to me at a discount and I spontaneously bought it. It turned out to be a fantastic purchase and it became one of my most played ukuleles.

Love the look of yours!

While not a baritone experience, my favorite wood combo for finger style guitar is cedar/rosewood (Goodall grand concert). FWIW, James Taylor also plays a cedar/rosewood combo (an Olson)

Top Bottom