Soprano Pain

Paipo

Reaction score
As I get older playing my soprano makes my elbow hurt , tenor is ok I love the sound of the soprano but the pain is getting worse I know a long neck would help but this is my travel uke has anyone else suffered soprano elbo .

So is it the fretting elbow or the strumming elbow?

I have various issues if I do not pay attention to a lot of the ergonomics surrounding playing, This includes the angle of the uke neck (how far pointed upward AND how far pointed forward). My strumming wrist can bother me if I move my elbow forward over the uke more so the wrist is more bent.

Ukulele Underground's YouTube channel has a good tutorial on how to hold your ukulele with minimal stress and pain. This should work with any size ukulele.

Maybe there is something else bothering your elbow and you get the pain from that .
I had an elbow problem , after a while I realized I was sitting with my arm extended and resting on the back of the couch
putting stress on the elbow.

You should benefit from self analysis of the situation. The place to start is to hold your tenor and precisely note your arm position, including elbow location and bend angle. Do the same with the wrist and hand location. Now hold the soprano and notice how you compensate for the smaller size (including where and how your strumming arm is holding it against your body). Are you pulling your fretting elbow back to adjust for the smaller size or are you swinging it outward.

You are looking to make adjustments to position the fretboard as close to possible to how you have it with the tenor. This may include holding it higher or away from the body more, or lower and closer to your body. Having a second person (maybe to take a photo on a phone) observing the differences may be helpful.

Good luck! The ergonomics are not paid attention to enough in many of the lessons/videos/instruction that is available.

Would a small pillow, like a throw pillow, under your elbow help? I use that when I play on the dinette bench of my camper as there are no arms on the bench seat like there are on a sofa. That helps me.

Perhaps some Aspercreme type of linament on your elbow might help as well. I always stretch and flex my arms periodically when I play as well.

Another thing to consider is the setup of your soprano. Do you have to press the strings hard to fret your chords and notes?

Are you pressing to the fretboard, or just enough to get clear sound?

I know that on some of my tenors, it takes a lot more pressure to make a barre chord than on others. Trying to get a clean barre and pressing hard caused my elbow to hurt. I've had to rest it for a while.

Seeing as its your fretting elbow and its a small uke I wonder if it actually stems from the wrist.

Top Bottom