Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Imperial or Metric Measurements: Which is Best?

Here in the UK, I grew up with imperial and then we went metric, so now I use both to some degree. A constant source of frustration to me though is when reading forum posts from members from across the pond, when they refer to thicknesses as being 0.080" for example. I can never get used to this, so I now have a conversion app on my phone. With metric I have a mental picture of what 2mm looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb2 View Post
    Here in the UK, I grew up with imperial and then we went metric, so now I use both to some degree. A constant source of frustration to me though is when reading forum posts from members from across the pond, when they refer to thicknesses as being 0.080" for example. I can never get used to this, so I now have a conversion app on my phone. With metric I have a mental picture of what 2mm looks like.
    Also from the UK and old enough to have grown up with imperial, I used to struggle with decimal inches too until I got myself an old Myford lathe. Now I've learnt that 1mm is 40 thou it's not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibblet View Post
    Also from the UK and old enough to have grown up with imperial, I used to struggle with decimal inches too until I got myself an old Myford lathe. Now I've learnt that 1mm is 40 thou it's not so bad.
    Lathe ? Dibbs are you now making clarinets as well as playing em ?.....I have an old Myford as well.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I've owned 2 Triumph motorcycles over the years . Both were late 60's bikes. It used metric nuts and bolts , imperial , and Withworth?
    Three different sizes , .... boy , I loved those bikes. Well worth the aggravation.
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

I never bumped into the issue with ukuleles (everyone seemed to express nut widths in millimeters, or maybe I was just lucky), but when I got into banjos, nearly every resource, luthier, or list of specs used imperial measurements. During my researches, I'd just keep a web site open with a conversion calculator. I found it difficult to make sense of 1-3/8", 1-1/4", 1-3/16", 1-9/32", 1-5/16", 1-1/8", etc and wasn't always able to tell which one was bigger, unless fractions were directly comparable (Yes, somewhere in the distant past, I was taught fractions in school, but it was a long time ago!), let alone mentally convert them to millimeters. When people use decimals instead of fractions, that is already a big step up, though.

I agree. It is ridiculous. From what I've read, the reasons are largely financial. It would cost a lot to convert (although other countries have been able to pay the bill), and it would cost businesses money. Our government seems to exist to keep businesses happy.

I work a lot with tools - wrenches and sockets. I have to spend twice as much for them because I must buy both metric and imperial. I once took the bumper off a Buick, and there were equal numbers of metric and imperial-sized bolts. That makes sense?

When woodworking, it's often easier to use metric measuring because there are all those little mm lines evenly spaced. I have tapes with both measuring systems on them. If the United States was totally imperial, that would be fine, but it's thoroughly mixed.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Pukulele Pete View Post
    I've owned 2 Triumph motorcycles over the years . Both were late 60's bikes. It used metric nuts and bolts , imperial , and Withworth?
    Three different sizes , .... boy , I loved those bikes. Well worth the aggravation.
    I had a couple of MG Ts and they used Whitworth - another set of tools I had to buy.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    Lathe ? Dibbs are you now making clarinets as well as playing em ?.....I have an old Myford as well.
    Yup. But not modern ones.

clarinet.jpg

I've got 2 Myfords. An ML7 dating from 1949 and an ML8 wood turning lathe from the 60s.
    Last edited by Dibblet; 04-03-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    I'm imagining a conversation between the inventors of the Imperial System of Measurement:

-Let's make this distance, the width of my big toe be an "inch" and we can measure things with it.
    -Great idea! Then for bigger distances we can put twelve of those together.
    -Sure. Let's call it a "foot".
    -Sounds like a plan, and for even longer distances we could put three foots together and call it a yard.
    -Good, but let's call 'em "feet" instead of "foots".
    -OK. What about really long distances?
    -Well, we could put 5283 feet together and call it a "mile".
    -That sounds too complicated. Let's round it off to 5280 feet.
    -Good idea. That'd make it 1760 yards.
    -Cool. Now what about liquid measure?
    -. . .
    And who decided a stone was 14 pounds?

Well at least the cubit went out of style shortly after the ark ran aground.

Thread Information