reputable guitar dealer with setup

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
After 10 years of playing exclusively ukuleles, I have decided to get a guitar again. I plan to get a Taylor mini GS Koa Plus. Due to the pandemic, i want to purchase online. Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer that will do a good setup prior to shipping?

Thanks,

Doug

Second Elderly. They did a great job setting up my Cordoba C1m 1/4-size after I asked for a lower than usual action. And this was on a $140 instrument. I offered to pay extra beforehand, but they just did it.

Taylor is really good about their out-the-door setup. Also, Elderly.

Second Elderly. They did a great job setting up my Cordoba C1m 1/4-size after I asked for a lower than usual action. And this was on a $140 instrument. I offered to pay extra beforehand, but they just did it.

None of my four main ukes have been setup or had the action lowered. Once we are out of this lockdown, I’m planning on having it done.
When you say that you requested a lower than usual action, what do you mean? Did you specify a string height at a particular point in the fret board?
Lower the Saddle? The nut? Both?
I know mine need it, and I would like to be able to intelligently state what I needs rather than describe it.

When you say that you requested a lower than usual action, what do you mean? Did you specify a string height at a particular point in the fret board?

Yes, I contacted them and wanted to know what their typical setup involved, and they indicated that their target on that class of instrument is about 3mm action at the 12th fret. I responded that I really have a strong preference of right around 2.5mm and I've arrived at that figure from having ukes at 2mm that buzzed and 3mm that were noticeably harder to play from me. They were somewhat reluctant but agreed to try and it came out great. If I hadn't replaced it with a custom Jupiter, I'd still have that instrument.

Top Bottom