TkiTki HKT Hawaiian Koa Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I recently saw the videos from the Southern Ukulele store on these. They looked and sounded great. The mango series was very impressive.

Really nice to see that there's an alternative to these high-quality Martin style ukes. If I didn't have my Kiwaya soprano (and if I wasn't a complete Kiwaya fan boy) I'd be all over the soprano version of this uke.

It's quite amazing how clear and crisp the sound of that tenor. Every note is coming through so clearly but there's still a lot of really nice mid-range as well. Seems to me that this brand has quite a unique sound to their ukes. The same goes for their mango series as well from what I've heard of them.

Really nice to see that there's an alternative to these high-quality Martin style ukes. If I didn't have my Kiwaya soprano (and if I wasn't a complete Kiwaya fan boy) I'd be all over the soprano version of this uke.

It's quite amazing how clear and crisp the sound of that tenor. Every note is coming through so clearly but there's still a lot of really nice mid-range as well. Seems to me that this brand has quite a unique sound to their ukes. The same goes for their mango series as well from what I've heard of them.

Outstanding tone and quality. Really made me take a step back in surprise. I had heard they were good, but not THIS nice.

Wow, I rarely see you this turned on by a review product. This uke is really something. Not a fan of pin bridges.....but....
If i bought one, I wonder where i could hide it....

Agreed, bazmaz is definitely into this uke judging from the review! And really, what's not to like? I find it interesting that it's a tenor but can feel like a soprano in some ways.

Agreed, bazmaz is definitely into this uke judging from the review! And really, what's not to like? I find it interesting that it's a tenor but can feel like a soprano in some ways.

Just so light to hold!

The sound reminds me of my Takumi TT-1K. Smaller bodied tenor. Light weight. Bright, punchy but not at all muddy when strummed.

As you say, very similar to the Kiwaya tenors as well.

Great review Baz. Thanks.

The sound reminds me of my Takumi TT-1K. Smaller bodied tenor. Light weight. Bright, punchy but not at all muddy when strummed.

As you say, very similar to the Kiwaya tenors as well.

Great review Baz. Thanks.

Yes, Alex at SUS also compared it to the Takumi ukes - I like the slighter body of these and so thin and light!

I recently saw a video about the TkiTki workshop .... the place were all the magic is happening. They build all the T's guitars stuff there. What I was surprised to see were Ukuleles with the Kiwaya logo on the headstock which, to me, means that at least some Kiwaya models are built from the same people that build the TkiTki instruments.

I recently saw a video about the TkiTki workshop .... the place were all the magic is happening. They build all the T's guitars stuff there. What I was surprised to see were Ukuleles with the Kiwaya logo on the headstock which, to me, means that at least some Kiwaya models are built from the same people that build the TkiTki instruments.
Interesting indeed!

I will check out this review when I have a little more time. Sounds like a really good one. Always enjoy all your reviews Barry !

I have missed some - looks like this is one to revisit and view !

Interesting! Do you have a link to the video? Thanks.

Very cool. Yes, I suspect T's Guitars are a manufacturer for several Japanese brands, including Tkitki, Kiwaya (only some of the models I think) and formerly Takumi. However, the spec is very different for Kiwaya and Tkitki. I have Martin-inspired sopranos from both these brands and they are subtly different in terms of neck, fretboard, headstock, bridge, body shape. I suspect the plans are developed by the client and T's Guitars then produces to the desired spec.

Tkitki started as the premium house brand of TanTan ukulele, a small chain of ukulele shops. Kiwaya is a much older and bigger company with international distribution.

Curious if anyone else has had a chance to play this tenor and walked away similarly impressed.

Curious if anyone else has had a chance to play this tenor and walked away similarly impressed.
I don’t have this tenor but I have two Tkitki sopranos and they are of the very highest quality, couldn’t recommend them more.

Top Bottom