Beginner finish question

rsmillbern

Reaction score
Ok, so I have started on building a ukulele, from a kit, first time ever doing something like this :)

I am beginning to think about finish. I am tempted to just go with some easy (?) wipe on poly or shellac, but... I have a guitar with an interesting finish, that I think might be fun to try to do. Problem is I am not sure what to even call the finish (photo below), or if it would be difficult to do for a first timer.

Anyone have any advise, or know what this type of finish would be called??

IMG_0866.jpg
IMG_0865.jpg

You could achieve that finish with silk matt spray nitro, and your in the right place to get it. The company is called Wurth and based in Germany. This finish has been recommended by Pete Howlett on here, and is what he uses on his silk finish instruments. He'll probably chip in here if he sees this thread.

on the other hand you could use Tru-oil. You would normally apply multiple coats, but the more you do, the glossier it becomes. You might get away with 4 or 5 coats and achieve a silky finish. I suggest you google Tru-oil, as there's plenty of info out there about using it on instruments, although primarily it's a gunstock finish. It's easy to use and quite forgiving, and a little goes a long way.

Last edited:
You could achieve that finish with silk matt spray nitro, and your in the right place to get it. The company is called Wurth and based in Germany. This finish has been recommended by Pete Howlett on here, and is what he uses on his silk finish instruments. He'll probably chip in here if he sees this thread.

on the other hand you could use Tru-oil. You would normally apply multiple coats, but the more you do, the glossier it becomes. You might get away with 4 or 5 coats and achieve a silky finish. I suggest you google Tru-oil, as there's plenty of info out there about using it on instruments, although primarily it's a gunstock finish. It's easy to use and quite forgiving, and a little goes a long way.

Thanks! I will look those up!

Another alternative to Tru-Oil is "Finishing Oil" made by "Liberon". This I believe, is Tung oil based, as opposed to Tru-oil that is Linseed oil based.
They recommend three coats (min 5 hours between each coat) that produces a more satin sheen than Tru-oil. Though, lightly rubbing back Tru-oil with 0000 wire wool will give a satin finish. The secret is patience. Allowing it to cure properly before rubbing back.

To try to add to this, Tru-Oil is a varnish sort of like polyurethane, and is applied similarly to wiping polyurethane (which is just regular polyurethane that is diluted with a compatible solvent). The formula just contains a different kind of polymerized oil than polyurethane does. The same might be true of Liberon Finishing Oil, but the its safety data sheet is unusually unhelpful for figuring out its composition.

Top Bottom