Season 477: You or Someone You Love

I've ended up with a not-very-shortlist of about 15 songs for this week, but don't worry, I won't inflict all of them on you. I'm sure they'll all fit future seasons after all! Even so, here's one more, a bedtime story from Tom Paxton:

I'm sure I remember UK TV legend and national treasure Fred Harris singing this on Play School at some point in the 1980s.

Here's another from me because I noticed Bob Dylan was allowed and I've been itching to give this one another go.

I'm in EBEA tuning, the idea was it would make the riff easier but the top two strings staying in standard would let me solo better. Not sure that worked but I had fun.

Jon, I notice it's been half a year since I've done a song. I'm glad I have a moment to poke my head into your season.
You'll see it's pretty evident that I haven't even picked up a uke in months. Had to do this song though, warts and all.

I heard Tom Waits recite this poem by Charles Bukowski and it spoke to me that no matter
the difficulties you might face you should always be on the lookout for a way out.
Photos are of my clan...the folks i love

thank you everyone for these most beautiful songs.
i've had chicken skin, tears, wide smiles and everything in between
so far on this week's journey.
love. xo

Sorry for the long intro, particularly since I didn't get the video that goes with the audio.
This is recorded on a baritone tuned DGCF, with a capo on 2, that makes it EADG...

goodnight all.
the playlist is up to date.
moved is the understatement.

Inspired by jtsteams's Guthrie/Bragg bring, I revisited this one.

I recorded it once before, on my old youtube channel and without video.
It could do with a fresh recording, so here we go. The birds are natural, don't ask why you cant hear ships in there ;-)

Another Poopy Lungstuffing song. In the comments she wonder if her devlopmental issues resulted from a head trauma she suffered
when she was 3 or 4.

Hello, Jon, I am loving this theme, all the love floating around. This one is for my husband, Allen. A song about imperfect love, but love, nonetheless.

It Had To Be You, Isham Jones, Gus Kahn, 1924

So here I was at 5am this morning, crossed legged and sat like a Buddha (and resembling one with lockdown fat) wondering about who I loved, then Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty sprang to mind.....I loved 'em all as solo artists and loved 'em all when they hung out together ......

Last edited:
so much beautiful music and dedications today gang.
thank you. just past 11pm Thursday where i am,
going to hit it now. see you tomorrow.
love.

I can't let the week go by without doing some Dylan. This is Mr Tambourine Man, or at least half of it, because I omitted two verses when I noticed that the whole thing came in at over 6 minutes. Actually I'm quite sad that I left them out now. Perhaps I'll come back to them some other time.

There's a baritone uke in there too, and a bit of keyboard and glockenspiel. More than a little inspiration from the Byrds version too.

Hello again, Jon ... another dedication here! I've dedicated two songs to Harry in the past, so this is for our sons, Joe and Tom. When they were little and they had had their bedtime story, I always had to finish with these songs ... both moon-related and, therefore, eminently appropriate for bedtime. (I think they must have had a suitably soporific effect, because they very rarely seemed to wake up during the night!) The photo I used must have been taken when Joe was about six and Tom, about three. Joe has grown up to be a bit of a success and computer genius and Tom is a musician ... say no more!!! (I should like to have done this better, but one of my "picking" fingers was hurting. Anyway, this is, perhaps, a truer representation of the original performances, which would have taken place at the end of a long, hard day, when I was probably in a rush to get our dinner ready.)

Here's one for someone I love a lot. Maggie and I performed this our first time on stage together at a folk club open mic. I played clawhammer banjo and she played guitar and sang. I was 36 and she was 28.
Since I am now 77 and Maggie is 68, and since I'm singing it, the song now makes more sense. I've also slowed it down an awful lot (but I've slowed down an awful lot myself).

When You And I Were Young Maggie by George W. Johnson & James Austin Butterfield

George Johnson was a school teacher in Mount Hope, Ontario when he wrote this poem for his fiance, Maggie Clark. They were married and had a home near Mount Hope. The poem was later put to music by Johnson's friend James Butterfield, but Maggie Johnson never got to hear the song nor to grow old with George, since she died of consumption before it became a song.

When I worked in Hagersville, I saw this historical plaque each time I went from Dundas and passed through Mount Hope. Eventually the current residents of the home asked to have it removed since the people stopping and taking photos was annoying. It is currently housed in a meeting house in Mount Hope which has been absorbed by the city of Hamilton.
When you and I plaque.jpg

And a short instrumental Carter family style version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESR4A7YB-54

Last edited:
Okay, I suppose it's a bit extravagant to post two in one day, but I have lots of work to finish so naturally I'm doing absolutely anything else to avoid it. This one feels a little bit self-indulgent, but I'm going to post it anyway.

The first thing I posted to a season was "Meet Me On The Corner", for Season 455, pabrizzer's "just your first take and no edits" season. I was scared of embarrassing myself, but you were all so lovely and welcoming and encouraging that this (and plinking my ukes in general) has turned into my favourite way of passing the time while stuck at home. Anyway, I've been wanting to do the song again with some overdubs for a while, so here it is, dedicated to all you lovely Seasonistas who have helped keep me occupied:

Thanks everyone! Right, I'd better stop now and get that grading done...

I did this cover of Dead Flowers, but its not in the TVZ style at all. Should go on the island.

Top Bottom