Season 477: You or Someone You Love

Some more silly O'clock early morning tinkering's from me, this time a shortish Dylan Instrumental of 'Make You Feel My Love'...........

The Little Prince "The beauty of living on a small planet is that you can see the sunset 1440 times a day"
A one word song with Volenska vocal stylings.
Hello is the friendliest word anyone can utter.

Here is my contribution to this Season. It's a love song to my darling Carmen (who's been putting up with me for 34 years now) that I wrote back in February during FAWM.

I must admit it is scandalous that I have only written Carmen half a dozen songs in all that time. But this one I'm particularly pleased with.

The photo is my favourite one of her. Taken at a friend's wedding some 20+ years ago.

Hope you like:

Ahoy and happy spring

Here is a song that I am dedicating to my brother.

A song by Tom Paxton, The Last Thing on My Mind (1964), in Estonian language. Dedicated to the youngest member of our family - my cousin's grandson was born on the 1st of April.

Dedicated to my lovely wife, Carol - who's singing! Thanks, all. -Kevin

EDIT: I'm (almost) a newcomer to the Seasons. I've posted once or twice before, but not for a long while. This is my wife's first appearance here. Jon - hope this song fits your theme. Please lemme know if I've goofed anything up?

Last edited:
I Feel Like Missing You Today

I'll send this one out to my little brother Dave, a virtuoso musician and human being, who lost his battle with cancer on February 1, 2011.

Here's one of the last photos of Dave.
feb 1.jpg

Here are Dave and I having a tune in Ottawa.
jim&Dave in Ottawa.jpg

Last edited:
feeling emotional these times.
this music, particularly some of your dedications
are beautiful and overwhelming.
your songs are. y'all are.
thank you.

Maggie's Anniversary Waltz by Jim Yates

I wrote this on July 14, 1994, on our 10th anniversary. In 2005, Al Kirby and I recorded it on our CD, Sittin' In The Kitchen and I haven't played it much in the past couple of decades till this week. I'm sending this one out to someone I love.

Maggie's Anniversary Waltz.jpg wedding day.jpg Wedding day D, M, C.jpg

Al Kirby and I recorded this in 2005. Al played the banjo and I played the other instruments.
http://lcmp.trentradio.ca:17080/artist/kirby_and_yates/recording/sittin_in_the_kitchen/track/maggie%27s_anniversary_waltz_%28jim_yates%29

Last edited:
This is dedicated firstly to all the old bluesmen whose scratchy records have given me so much pleasure...and secondly to the young musicians of the'60's who helped engineer a revival of the original artists with their covers and acknowledgements. Here's Stone's cover of Robert Johnson's Love in Vain. They really reinvented a fairly straight forward blues song to something special. Guitarlele is tuning G- G. Like a guitar on capo 3 or a uke tuned down 2 frets.
I stumbled on a youtube tutorial for this song...that helped- even if mine is a bit sloppy, the essence is there thanks to the tutorial.

A gentle reminder that with Season 477 still running smoothly, and Season 478 starting tomorrow, we only have two more weeks scheduled. If anybody feels they can spare the time to host a week, see the sign-up thread

Back to the music...

I worked with a girl 30 years ago who was - in many ways - my opposite, but we became unlikely friends.
She taught me how to be bigger, I'm not sure what she got from me - grounding maybe??
Anyway, here's to unlikely friendships...
And thanks for hosting Jon. I don't post often, but I also appreciate how the seasons give me a focus, and a willing audience.

This song is for my wife Mary. I like this as much musically as any song I've ever written. Lyrically, I always find it hard to write songs about real people -- there isn't the usual room for poetic license.

Lyrics:

Evening, watching a show
One we both saw years ago
Look up, sensing a mood
I watch you crossing the room
You react defensively
"What did I do? Why's he looking at me?"
After all these years, could you still have no clue?
I never could take my eyes off of you
Could never tear my gaze away
Could never even think of going astray

How can I even try to deny the obvious?

It’s always been you
Every nerve and every sinew
Is telling me to be here
Is telling me to keep you near

It’s always been you
And I want this to continue
I always want to be here
I always want you near

Look up, sensing a mood
I watch you crossing the room

Dedicated to the diversity of life, those ones we miss so hard, and to those still searching an own Northwest Passage.

Top Bottom