Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a concert ukulele

Default Recommend me a concert ukulele

Hi all,

I am in the midst of UAS and think I want to pick up a budget (under $500) solid wood or otherwise quality) concert ukulele, preferably warm sounding. I know there are a lot of choices out there, especially under $400 with Ohana/Kala/Pono/etc but I don't know them very well. Open to some expert opinions here!

Thank you

In that price range, I think how the instrument feels in your hands is just as important as the sound quality. The width and depth of the neck as well as the weight balance make a big difference and different people will have different preferences.

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

I love Concert size Ukes, and have fifteen or twenty of them. I'm sitting here right now playing one of my favorites, a Mainland Mango. I am extremely happy with my Mainland Ukes, and the price is right. You really need to check these out. If you get one, I'm certain you will like it a lot. http://www.mainlandukes.com/
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I have three solid mahogany Ohana ukes, I like their sound, especially with Living Water fluorocarbon low G strings.

(concert neck soprano / tenor neck soprano / tenor neck concert)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

There have been some interesting new brands over the past few years. Some of them, like Kai and Freshman, seem to try to get market share by putting out quality instruments at comparatively very low prices. Some of them have features that are typically not found in cheaper instruments, like personal sound holes, quality pickup systems, and real abalone inlays. Similarly to how aNueNue got a foot into the market, some years prior. If I looked for a new instrument right now, I'd consider both of those. Alex of the Southern Ukulele Store made a good concert ukes review video not too long ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiiYj7VqXNk He compared 7 cedar concerts, all of which have a cedar-warm sound.
    Last edited by Mivo; 04-06-2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: missing word

I think you might like the Ohana Cynthia Lin Signature performance concert ukulele. I have a bunch of ukes valued from a couple hundred to thousands of dollars. And next to my Custom Kanile'a Espaniola, The Cynthia Lin is the best sounding. The sustain is incredible at that price point. 20210402_180915.jpg
    Kanile'a Steven Espaniola Signature Koa Custom Tenor
    Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor (Pepe is adding a side port!)
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric
    Ohana Mahogany Cynthia Lin Concert Performance uke
    Kanile'a KCS Super Soprano Premium Koa
    Brian Fanner Custom solid body/steel string tenor (Pixelator)

I could build you one in your price range if you would like a hand made ukulele rather than factory made, assuming you live in the US. I just finished an all Koa body commissioned concert last week within your budget. You can check my website and get my contact information there. This is the concert I mentioned.
    IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2168.jpg
    http://Kelaliuke.com
    Facebook Kelali Ukuleles

If I were interested in a budget concert, I'd be taking a look at the Anuenue solid top concerts being offered at the Ukulele site for $159. Setup for $40 is an optional add on. Given the builders good reputation I'm going to be curious how they get reviewed.
    Enya (C) laminate, Bonanza (C) Cherry Oreo, Pono (T) mahogany, KoAloha (T) Koa, Kala (B) Cedar top/Acacia laminate, Mainland (B) Red cedar/Rosewood.

Quote Originally Posted by BBegall View Post
    If I were interested in a budget concert, I'd be taking a look at the Anuenue solid top concerts being offered at the Ukulele site for $159. Setup for $40 is an optional add on. Given the builders good reputation I'm going to be curious how they get reviewed.
    Reviewed by Barry:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...Concert-REVIEW

and here:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...Series-Concert
    Last edited by rainbow21; 04-23-2021 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBegall View Post
    I actually have one of those on the way from Anuenue! I thought it might be a fun beater/travel uke for when I go camping.

Thread Information