Recommend me a concert ukulele

a green field

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the midst of UAS and think I want to pick up a budget (under $500) solid wood or otherwise quality) concert ukulele, preferably warm sounding. I know there are a lot of choices out there, especially under $400 with Ohana/Kala/Pono/etc but I don't know them very well. Open to some expert opinions here!

Thank you

In that price range, I think how the instrument feels in your hands is just as important as the sound quality. The width and depth of the neck as well as the weight balance make a big difference and different people will have different preferences.

I love Concert size Ukes, and have fifteen or twenty of them. I'm sitting here right now playing one of my favorites, a Mainland Mango. I am extremely happy with my Mainland Ukes, and the price is right. You really need to check these out. If you get one, I'm certain you will like it a lot. http://www.mainlandukes.com/

I have three solid mahogany Ohana ukes, I like their sound, especially with Living Water fluorocarbon low G strings. :)

(concert neck soprano / tenor neck soprano / tenor neck concert)

There have been some interesting new brands over the past few years. Some of them, like Kai and Freshman, seem to try to get market share by putting out quality instruments at comparatively very low prices. Some of them have features that are typically not found in cheaper instruments, like personal sound holes, quality pickup systems, and real abalone inlays. Similarly to how aNueNue got a foot into the market, some years prior. If I looked for a new instrument right now, I'd consider both of those. Alex of the Southern Ukulele Store made a good concert ukes review video not too long ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiiYj7VqXNk He compared 7 cedar concerts, all of which have a cedar-warm sound.

Last edited:
I think you might like the Ohana Cynthia Lin Signature performance concert ukulele. I have a bunch of ukes valued from a couple hundred to thousands of dollars. And next to my Custom Kanile'a Espaniola, The Cynthia Lin is the best sounding. The sustain is incredible at that price point. 20210402_180915.jpg

I could build you one in your price range if you would like a hand made ukulele rather than factory made, assuming you live in the US. I just finished an all Koa body commissioned concert last week within your budget. You can check my website and get my contact information there. This is the concert I mentioned.
IMG_2162.jpg
IMG_2168.jpg

If I were interested in a budget concert, I'd be taking a look at the Anuenue solid top concerts being offered at the Ukulele site for $159. Setup for $40 is an optional add on. Given the builders good reputation I'm going to be curious how they get reviewed.

If I were interested in a budget concert, I'd be taking a look at the Anuenue solid top concerts being offered at the Ukulele site for $159. Setup for $40 is an optional add on. Given the builders good reputation I'm going to be curious how they get reviewed.

Reviewed by Barry:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?149440-aNueNue-UC10-Color-Series-Concert-REVIEW

and here:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?149839-NUD-Anuenue-UC10-Color-Series-Concert

Last edited:

I actually have one of those on the way from Anuenue! I thought it might be a fun beater/travel uke for when I go camping.

Ukes in this price range are usually mass manufactured and fairly generic, meaning there is little difference from one brand to another except for things like colour or size and shape of neck. There can be huge differences from one uke to the next for the same model of the same brand though. Best approach is to go to a music store that has ukes and just try whatever they have in your price range. Look at the name on the label after you bought it.

Last edited:
Is anyone going to say "Mainland"? If not, add that to the mix.

I'd also recommend the Flight Diana...Soundwave or regular...as a really wonderful concert ukulele.

If you can get one, I also love my Cocobolo Concert.

And, of course, there's the KoAloha Opio Concert, which sells for right around $500.

There have alot options for concert ukulele, so if you don't have the proper ideas about them you didn't choose the right one for you. This review helps me a lot when i first time got my concert ukulele. I know a few good like these Lohanu, Donner, Ranch and for budget pick Forever Trustly Concert ukulele is a great option.

Last edited:
The Japanese made Kiwaya KPC-1M solid mahogany concert is amazing. Super light and resonant with a sweet warm tone and sustain for days. Top notch Japanese craftsmanship.

Check out the review by Barry:

Hi all,

I am in the midst of UAS and think I want to pick up a budget (under $500) solid wood or otherwise quality) concert ukulele, preferably warm sounding. I know there are a lot of choices out there, especially under $400 with Ohana/Kala/Pono/etc but I don't know them very well. Open to some expert opinions here!

Thank you
Get an Ohana from Mim. She’s picky about the Ohanas she sells and you will get the best for your money, set up perfectly and with free shipping.

Oops, I see this is an old thread. Is the OP still in the market for a concert?

This thread is from last year.
OP probably bought an ukulele by now.
I hope. 😅

OP my have posted that last year but plenty will search for recs now & in the future. so In that price range (2021/~$500ish)…

Definitely recommend against Kala unless it’s from a super reliable bricks/mortar retailer who carefully tests out each instrument they sell (my local shop sends about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Kala ukes they get back to the manufacturer/distributor because of poor QC; has done so for years). Presumably, many of those instruments get dumped back into the retail world. Kala also undercuts their own ”dealers”/retailers

I’ve bought ~3 Ohana ukes from Mim’s. Recommend the Ohana/Mims combo.

I have 4 different Pono instruments, all very well made, inside & out.
2 or 3 of them originated from TheUkuleleSite.com / Hawaii Music Supply.
1 originated from a high-end instrument shop back east (Massachusetts, possibly themusicemporium.com who only Carrie’s 5 brands of ukes: Collings, Kamaka, Kanile’a, Martin, & Pono - that should tell you something about Pono’s construction quality & reliability).

I would also recommend AnueNue. I have a pair of AnueNue “fun” concerts & both are impeccably constructed inside & out, so, SO clean. My only dilemma is which do I put the lowG on, the GoldenGlow UC10 from TheUkuleleSite.com or the Kona Sky, direct from www.anuenueusa.com… their bright cheerful solid spruce tops made the deal for me. The laminate mahogany sides are open pore & remind me of Kiwaya’s laminate quality that rivals solid mahogany. These both get humidified like all my solid ukes.

I would also be wary with any instrument that’s passed through the hands of UkeLikeThePros, which I avoid like the plague. So many bad collective experiences reported on this site & red flags ragingly obvious on their’s.

I have bought pre-owned instruments that passed through the hands of AlohaCityUkes.com in Chicago, which turned out to be great.

Magic Fluke Fleas & Flukes are always on my recommended list.

Top Bottom